1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ESPN The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here who sees a paper magazine these days, and it almost makes them angry? Like, "We're still doing this?" Paper feels gluttonous. The only time it feels okay for me is in a doctor's office. Somebody explain that.

My hope is all the amazing writers move into creative content that includes the written word-- in longform, just as they have been doing-- as well as video and graphics. I know that will make a lot of you gag, but there's some really cool work out there.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm angry when I know that everything is online for free, that's what makes paper feel gluttonous. SI still has some good takeouts every 2-3 weeks when the print issue actually comes out, but those are all online. I feel like I'm getting the print issue for little more than the letters to the editor.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I only get a paper on the weekends now, and I feel that way about the Sunday paper.

4. Lugnuts

It's not, though.

The device on which you read it was not free, and more pertinently you're also paying for the internet service.

We just haven't figured out how to pay the content makers yet, but I think we're tap dancing near the cusp of a solution.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But the content makers have to want to be paid. I'm flabbergasted by how SI gives away the whole shop, from mag features to the "Vault," which should have been behind a paywall the minute it went live.

6. Lugnuts

I'm hugely anti-subscription based.

I have never liked that model.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It’s basically the only model that works in print anymore. The Times, the Post, the WSJ, the Economist... you need to make a product that’s good and different enough that people will buy it.

Fredrick likes this.
  8. AD

AD Active Member

we are in a place now where even journalists do not read print...and their editors/bosses don't see/care about any scoop that isn't online. when the people most traditionally aligned with print don't value it anymore, why should casual readers? welcome to the end of the gutenberg era. we all saw this coming, but it still amazes: the moving image is how mass information, news, storytelling will be consumed. print will always exist, but it will be niche not necessity.

Fredrick and Doc Holliday like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Unless you want Internet providers to artificially throttle load times based on who pays for the quicker loading services, subscription might be the only thing that works.

10. nickp

nickp Active Member

Best ESPN the Magazine cover was Steve Francis with Destiny’s Child

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Playing off Lugnuts' post, of late the only place I see any magazine anymore is a doctor's office.

Lugnuts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted