1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego sports station Mighty 1090 is no more

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mpcincal, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

KOA will never go anywhere....especially when they have the ClearChannel pockets behind it.
    With the Broncos, Rockies, Buffs.....they can lose their money with the rest of their programming (which they don't) and still be in the black from all of their sports revenue.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That was a pretty strong lineup. Chet Forte was THE hidden gem in sports talk radio.
    Hacksaw was an act, but before there was an internet (God, I'm old), that dude caught you up on all the day's sports news when you got into your car in the afternoon.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

KOA's power. I got it pretty clearly one time in northern Arizona listening to the Broncos driving back to Phoenix from the Grand Canyon one time. Had it in and out in Omaha before.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I live in SW Kansas and get it clear as a bell day or night.
    50,000 watt AM station is a kaboom.
    On a clear night, I can also get KOMA in Oklahoma City and WLW out of Cincinnati.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Pepperdine basketball used to be on a low-power station in the San Fernando Valley, don't remember the number (might have been KGIL 1260). There was a mega-station in Boise that had the same number. At night, it would clash with the Valley station here in SoCal, both signals coming in and out. One night, Pepperdine was playing Boise State. The game was on both channels and you could hear announcers from both stations talking over each other, both calling the same game.

Another Pepperdine quickie. It once had a radio station that transmitted through electrical lines and was so weak it could only reach as far as the dorms on campus. You had to have a plug-in radio to hear it.

maumann likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I feel bad for abandoning live and local radio - I don't so much when the radio isn't live or local. The deterioration of signals is another mystery. Remember when being the "flagship" of the local pro team was a big deal?

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

THE HIGH-SPEED SPORTS WIRE!

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. poindexter

Hacksaw tried way too hard to wear too many hats sometimes.

If it was the week of the Indy 500, he'd end a Charger call asking the guy for his pick in the Indy 500. Most people didn't give a shit.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I still like pulling up Reds games on 700 WLW/Cincinnati from out of state like I did as a kid -- but only for as long as it takes me to find the game on my Sirius XM app for far better sound quality.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Hacksaw: Before you go, who will win the Indy 500?

Caller: I don't know. I don't follow auto racing.

Hacksaw: I need an answer.

Caller: Hmm, Mario Andretti, I guess.

Hacksaw: See, another caller who agrees with me.

That aside, we all busted on Hacksaw, but we all listened.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There’s just too much competition for listening time. Rush Limbaugh extended the life of the AM band by 15 years or so, but now it’s on life support.

Also: many operators have neglected AM transmitter sites, which doesn’t help with signal quality, and the FCC shoehorned in small AMs all across the dial in the 1980s. Too much noise.

Another thing that didn’t help AM sports stations — Infinity/CBS radio and others made a big bet on putting sports on FM stereo in the 1990s. The listening experience during an NFL game especially was much better.

12. poindexter

That is hilarious

Draft saved Draft deleted