1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It delivers.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What makes me sad is I fear they are never going to be able to reach this level again. This bar is epically high.

I am binge reading The Eternals right now (Marvel Unlimited App, ‘Nuff Said) and I am really trying to picture this as a backbone piece for the next decade. I hope they can pull it off. If anyone can, these guys can.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I will now give anything the Russo brothers ever do a chance. They had a damn near impossible task and they nailed it.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Makes sense. They already made the best Marvel movie.

5. outofplace

Do you mean The Winter Soldier? That was the top one on my list until today. Now it is a rock solid number two.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yep. Winter Soldier, to me, is still No. 1. Thor: Ragnarok is No. 2 for me. Endgame is 3.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Winter Solider is probably my favorite as well. Ragnarok is right up there too.

8. outofplace

Endgame is my new No. 1, just ahead of Winter Soldier, Avengers and Infinity War.

Winter Soldier and Endgame
    are a tough comparison, though, because they are so different.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Went to see it today - asked for the two oclock show, he asked if I wanted the 3d at 2 or the 2d at 3 - "Whose on first?" Theater wasn't crowded, happily. Ended up at the 3D - it was well done, that the film was shot in IMAX helped. Though I'm pretty sure the next breakthrough will be cameras that make the foreground image less "flat" and more "dimensional" instead of just pushing the background back.
    Not a huge "blockbuster" fan, but these movies always get me into the theater because they don't come off like cartoons - the characters have real stakes. My goodness did Stark look sickly in those early scenes.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Just saw two films from last year....

Overlord, the one where American paratroopers stumble onto a Nazi zombie factory in Normandy on June 6, 1944. Perfectly fine. Not a hidden gem but they stuck the landing and you can watch it without embarrassment.

Widows, the one where the wives of four dead crooks have to band together to pull off their final job. It was summed up for me by having Viola Davis give the best portrayal of grief on screen I've ever seen and then have absolutely no chemistry or rapport with Liam Neeson, who plays her spouse of 20+ years. Fantastically uneven but with some fantastic bits as well.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

watched the "The Mid90s," which was written and directed by Jonah Hill. A coming-of-age story about a pre-teen white kid in LA who starts hanging out with skateboarders and becomes something of a punk. It was OK, a solid 6, but basically felt like an after-school special, derivative of many films I'd seen before. A lot of the cast were pro skaters. The most well-known actor was Lucas Hedges, who plays the loser older brother. He was good, but seemed wasted in the role. The ending was grossly unrewarding. Oh, and one of the main character's names is FuckShit, because that's what he says all the time.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Watched the new Netflix movie about Ted Bundy. I had a high school teacher who danced with Bundy at FSU earlier in the night where he slaughtered up the sorority house (how creepy is that?), so I've seen all the Bundy flicks and know more about all that than I probably should. Thought this movie was well done with a heckuva final scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted