1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The thing that intrigues me about Burnes are his elite strikeout and spin rates. He's striking out 13/9IP and guys with a spin rate like his tend to be among the better pitchers in the game.

I read that his HR/FB% is 64 percent. That's an unfathomably high number that will certainly normalize. Hell, Tanaka holds the league record for highest HR/FB rate in a season and it's one-third that high (21%). So when those balls stop flying out of the yard, I expect Burnes' ERA is going to plummet to pretty good levels.

The only other candidate I have to drop right now is Ottavino. Our league counts holds, so I expected some decent production out of him with the chance to pick up the occasional save or win. He's got just one hold so far, but he is pitching well overall.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The HR/FB% doesn't fully account for Burnes' 1.88 WHIP. Hitters are batting .459 off his fastball. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock in a guy's strikeout rate after only 14 innings pitched.

You're looking at two guys with long-term upside who may not help you much right now. I'd rather have Urias.

Ottavanio is a different situation entirely. He can help you in his current role, though holds are an extremely difficult category to project. Given what he did last season and how he has pitched so far, I think you have to keep him.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. outofplace

I'm actually in a similar spot with Newcomb. The Braves didn't give him much slack at all before sending him down and they have a deep group of young arms, so I'm not sure he will even get another shot this season.

4. bigpern23

Interesting ... just received a trade offer for Acuna in which I'd get back deGrom, Paddack and Rosario. I don't think I can give up Acuna, but it's an interesting offer nonetheless.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

deGrom's elbow is barking. I don't think I'd want any part of him right now.

6. bigpern23

Not anymore, apparently. He’s skipping the MRI and says he feels totally normal. Then again, it’s the Mets, so ...

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yep. It being the Mets and all, I expect deGrom's arm to dislodge itself from its socket and rocket into the sun during his next start.

bigpern23 and outofplace like this.
  8. outofplace

I'm still assuming the worst for deGrom, which I assume is what the owner who tried to trade him to pern is thinking, too.

9. bigpern23

Van Wagenen said deGrom did undergo an MRI and it came back clean. He's scheduled to return Friday.

10. outofplace

It's still the Mets.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. bigpern23

So I still have Keuchel collecting dust on my dynasty roster. I'm reading that it's becoming more likely that teams will wait until after the June draft to sign him so that they won't have forfeit a draft pick to sign him. Assuming he gets signed June 6 (the day after the draft is completed), he'll probably need, what, a minimum of three weeks to get ready to pitch? So, we're looking at the All-Star Break, realistically, before he contributes. I'm paying him $14 (which isn't exorbitant, if he were actually pitching).

I think I have to drop him and, either acquire Aguilar (who just got dropped), or try to reacquire Keuchel for $1 and save the salary. Thoughts on that strategy?

12. outofplace

I'm not sure exactly how your league works, so I don't know how much it is worth to drop him to pick him back up, but I certainly wouldn't pass on a player you like to hold at this point.

Aguilar worries me due to the limited track record and he has been truly awful so far this season, but he's probably worth the shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted