1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's like people said when the Saints got jobbed in the NFC title game, teams have to overcome bad calls. Fluery was flopping all over the place the last 10 minutes and overtime.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So back to the original thing I meant to argue (before I went full Sharks fan. Never go full Sharks fan. I'm not even really a Sharks fan and I went full Sharks fan) it was an ugly hit. And ugly as in hard to look at and not the kind of thing you want to see. Not ugly as in dirty, but ugly.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hearing about Vegas fans crying about a bad call, a bad loss - that city was built on bad beats. Welcome to pro sports.

expendable, Vombatus, MTM and 2 others like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I get a major penalty puts teams in a position to have done to them what Vegas had done to them, but giving up four goals in less than 4 minutes is 100 percent on that team. You let the call dictate the action rather than you dictating the action.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Exactly. Every shot San Jose took during the power play, in. At times, you gotta suck it up and play hockey.

One of the players likened it to the no-call in the NFC title game. Well, maybe, But still, you just coughed up a 3-0 lead. And you had several opportunites in regulation at OT to win that weren't converted.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Wherever you read/heard that, did it say who the other team to do it was? I’m going to guess Blues vs. Canucks, 1998 or 1999.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Did not take note of that.

9. HanSenSE

I think I saw in a wire story it was a game MTM referenced uptopic.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Blues vs. Kings in 98

11. HanSenSE

Thanks. Brain still a little hazy.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Good piece by Ray Ratto on last night's playoff craziness

Two monumentally stunning things in two different sports happened more or less simultaneously, it was two wonders to behold, and they’re more remarkable if you take them as a single unit of joy that both basketball and hockey fans can share. In a world that works very hard every day to shove happiness in a weighted burlap bag and head out to sea, forgetting your affinity to one sport or the other and combining them as a magnificent whole is the best solution.

So to the Blazers and Damian Lillard, and the Sharks and Barclay Goodrow, and all the other players on each team who helped propel us to those two ridiculous moments, thanks. You did the deeds that make this sports thing even moderately worthwhile, and reminded the animals of the earth that while they will inherit whatever we don’t blow up, waste or irradiate in the next 100 years, we’re taking games like these with us.

https://deadspin.com/sports-were-go...eadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted