1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Again, watch the damn replay. He was knocked off balnce by a hit to chest and arms.

I assume these are fanboy post.

The NHL needs to have replay for majors, that was a joke of a call.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And he wasn't dropped on his head.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, he was placed kindly and with great precision upon his feet

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, watch it without blinders on. Tell me, what was the major for?

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

First, wrong question. I can sure as shit tell you what it was for.

Second, the answer to your real question is the major getting called was likely due to the one-two nature of that hit that put Pavelski in a dangerous position and resulted in a serious injury. It was for sure a cross check and was for sure a penalty. The extra was likely because the cross check got exacerbated by getting plunked while off balance resulting in Pavelski landing on his head. Disagree with me as you will (actually I'm probably more reacting because I've had a few beers and need to remember I'm only a Sharks fan by proximity) but that's what I saw. Actually if I was really going full fanboi, I'd be screaming about suspensions. I managed to pull myself from that ledge.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That’s not how penalties are called. He was crosschecked in the chest, that play happens all game. You don’t get a Major for knocking someone off balance. The rest was complete incidental.The result was awful, it was not close to 5 and a game.

The refs guessed. They told Gallant he crosschecked him in the face, neither refs hand was raised after the hit.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I mentioned the goalie getting pulled in the waning minutes of a hockey game being one of the best things in sports and I can't think of any move that ramps up the intensity of any other sport. The leading team is suddenly under siege on defense but at the same time so close to salting it away if they can get one shot on goal.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I thought the hit was pretty bad because of the blood on the ice. But once I saw the replay, I thought it wasn't that much of a hit by Eakin and wondered why Pavelski went down so hard. He wasn't crosschecked in the face, but in the chest, just like dozens of other crosschecks in the game. Stastny didn't have much of an affect either.
    Why the hell did Pavelski go down so hard? Did his skates catch a rut? Were his knees locked? Penalty was much too severe.
    I also wondered why Eakin did it? Was he hurt in a postgame scrum after Game 6? Is that why he was wearing a cage? Was he looking for retaliation?
    Sure the hell made it exciting. But doing something stupid was the only way the Knights were going to lose, and they did.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Why aren’t people celebrating Vegas being eliminated?

One final team from last year eliminated, one to go.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I went to bed with 11:00 and change left in the late game last night. Saw the highlights this morning, and there is no way in the world is that a 5-minute major.
    If he's not sprawled out on the ice with blood coming out, nothing may get called there.
    Vegas absolutely got jobbed on that.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, he sort of WAS - but I'm still not sure what's a major and what isn't. Can't say I've seen it called consistently.

In Game 2 vs. the Caps, one of the Canes was called for a five-minute major and every Cap fan I was watching with agreed it was a joke. A clear penalty but not close to five. Later, another Cane plants a clear and intentional elbow in Kuznetsov's head. Two minutes. Much more egregious than the penalty that was called a major with the same refs watching it.

So who knows? I don't.

I just know the Caps are the only 2019 Division winner standing and the only 2018 Finalist standing. I hope I can say the same tomorrow but I'm not confident.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

What did Eakin do, exactly? He lost the draw and was trying to get out to the point. He gave Pavelski a hard shove on the way that knocked Pavelski off balance, and into Stastny who was also trying to get to the point.

The injury was obviously horrible but completely unintentional and barely worth two minutes. Certainly not five and a game in a Game 7, regardless of the score at the time.

If the refs had that back I guarantee you they’d change their minds.

Draft saved Draft deleted