1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wait ... whiny-ass Rachel is on TAR again!?!

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Ok, so the teams:

Janelle & Britney from Big Brother
    Tyler and Korey from TAR: YouTube season
    Rupert and Laura from Survivor
    Rachel and Elissa from Big Brother (Rachel ran the race with husband Brendon in both a regular season and an All-Stars season)
    Colin and Christie from TAR 5 (The "My ox is BROKEN" dude)
    Corinne and Eliza from Survivor
    Nicole and Victor from Big Brother
    Art and JJ from TAR
    Becca and Floyd from TAR (this was the one where Floyd got seriously overheated and they bowed out so he could get medical attention on the Blind Date season)
    Chris and Bret from Survivor
    Leo and Jamal from TAR (the Afghanimals)
    Meet the 'Amazing Race' season 31 reality all-star teams

I do not watch either Big Brother or Survivor, so I only know the Amazing Race teams.

Two TAR scenarios that I think would be extremely entertaining: a Race where all of the teams were the first ones eliminated. Then a Race where all the teams finished in 2nd. Or maybe go back to regular mortals rather than just cherry picking people from CBS reality shows.

Three more spots if anyone wants to hop in!

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Art and JJ live not far from the city where I live and in the circulation area of the paper I was working for. I did a phone interview with them after the season and went to their viewing party for the finale at a local restaurant. They were nice guys and had a viewing party each week to raise money for charities.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

I'll take a team again this season if one is still available.

5. Wenders

Ok, running in at the last moment with the pool! Looooord trying to finish a 40-page magazine this week about killed me.

Huggy - Janelle & Britney (Big Brother_
    TigerVols - (Tyler and Korey from TAR: YouTube)
    bumpy mcgee - Rachel and Elissa (Big Brother/TAR)
    Iron_chet - Colin and Christie (TAR)
    MTM - Nicole and Victor (Big Brother) (I literally wrote on your drawing paper NO RUPERT lol)
    WriteThinking - Art and JJ (TAR)
    WCIBN - Becca and Floyd (TAR: Blind Date)
    Wenders - Chris and Bret (Survivor)
    WolvEagle - Leo and Jamal (TAR)

The two extra teams, should someone get eliminated first and want to exchange their team (or if someone replies or sends me a DM wanting in before the show airs tonight):
    Rupert and Laura (Survivor)
    Corinne and Eliza (Survivor)

6. Wenders

Anyone else watch the first ep? I thought it very interesting that save for one former TAR team (RIP Art & JJ) the rest finished at the lead of the pack. There is definitely a leg up for the people who previously ran the Race, in knowing how to get information, how to get around, how to actually run the Race.

Pool update:
    WolvEagle - Leo and Jamal (TAR) - 21
    Iron_Chet - Colin and Christie (TAR) - 10
    TigerVols - Tyler and Korey (TAR) - 9
    bumpy mcgee - Rachel and Elissa (TAR/Big Brother) - 8
    WCIBN - Becca and Floyd (TAR) - 7
    MTM - Nicole and Victor (Big Brother) - 6
    Wenders - Chris and Bret (Survivor) - 5
    Huggy - Janelle and Britney (Big Brother) - 4
    Corinne and Eliza (Survivor) - 3
    Rupert and Laura (Survivor) - 2
    *WriteThinking - Art & JJ (TAR) - 1

*Team has been eliminated

WT, if you want one of the unclaimed Survivor teams, let me know.

Also everyone who said something about Rupert...he has the crazy eyes, my lord.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes, Wenders. I'd like to take Corinne and Eliza if they're still available. I didn't watch Wednesday night, but will be doing so tonight.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The sand castle digging was cool, but it was meaningless. They all got on the same plane to Tokyo.

I know they have to get the teams to locations so far away together, but I’m an advocate of releasing them in order of finish and at the same time interval.

That said, Art and JJ were the last to find the first clue and last to finish

9. WriteThinking

OK, I watched the season's first episode, and have a couple questions:

I didn't rewind/rewatch the clip, and I think I must have missed something, but what was with Bret when he got to the top of the hyro-slide Mt. Fuji and went, "Am I good?" and then just sat there (and Chris couldn't/didn't tell him anything)? Did Bret not know how to get down? Did he not grab the race clue card, or know to do that?

And I know we have probably discussed/had posts about this at some point, but how is the length of a time penalty determined? That four-hour one for Art and JJ seemed rather excessive. Competitively speaking, it is all but insurmountable, almost no matter what else happens with anybody else -- which would seem to defeat the idea of competitiveness in the show.

Oh, and I still love Becca and Floyd, and will be rooting for them. Did Floyd say they were dating now?

10. Wenders

1- Bret didn't see the clues at the top of the inflatable. He just thought he had to scale it. You are not allowed to assist your teammate during a Road Block, so Chris couldn't yell to grab a clue.
    2-Minor infractions (not following clue instructions, etc) are 30 minutes. Quitting a Road Block is 4 hours. Not being able to complete a Road Block due to circumstances beyond the team's control is 2 hours. Quitting a Detour is a 6 hour penalty. There was one time where Boston Rob convinced multiple teams to quit the Road Block with him rather than eat Brazilian meat. The Google tells me that teams also quit during the Sandcastle challenge in Season 22.
    3-Floyd said they were dating and then both of them acknowledged that it was a joke.

11. WriteThinking

Thanks much, Wenders! Clearly, I need to re-watch:).

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Rupert is still an insufferable goof. Never understood the love for that guy. He was dismissive of his wife’s comments about where the lights were on in the park the same way he was dismissive in Survivor. I think he is a big phoney.

Happy with the team I got for the pool, Thanks Wenders! I remember from the season Uchenna and Joyce won. He was a raging dickhead. They went thru my city for a challenge about a minute from where I now live.

Draft saved Draft deleted