1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Check out Cleveland.com! Is this what being sports journalist has come to?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sporty, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

One step closer to the early industry-in-death-spiral jokes about having reporters call up readers each day to read them the newspaper.

studthug12 and Doc Holliday like this.
  2. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Monetizing Twitter. Brilliant! The NYT's journos give it away for free every day.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Do you mean push alerts? I think those are pretty common, but I wouldn't call them texts. I think they're usually free, too. Success is based on how many people click through the alert, and usually that's a pretty low rate. (I'm not sure if it's higher or lower on average than e-newsletters, which most media outlets also seem to offer.)

This seems like something totally different.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’ve been waiting for that to happen. I assume it’ll come crashing down when we hit the next recession.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I suppose. And yes, they are texts. They are texts sent directly to their phones. Not Twitter or facebook. Texts and the name of the program is called Text Alert. Same thing in my book. It's not like these writers at Cleveland.com are really giving them personal texts or inside information. It's basically the same thing.

6. Doc Holliday

Damn dude. That's fucking funny. +1

7. We had someone sending texts during the Olympics. The idea wasn't to charge for them, but to offer them to subscribers, giving them a little somethingsomething. It was well received, I believe.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  8. sporty

sporty Member

You are correct everybody does do the texting thing. But what it sounds like is different here is Cleveland.com is placing the burden on the reporters to have these text conversations and be responsible for them. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don’t get the impression they’re conversations. They’re basically push alerts direct from a writer, it seems like.

10. Doc Holliday

I don't think you are misunderstanding, I think you have been misled.

What Cleveland.com is being sly about here is that these really aren't text conversations with readers. This is the same thing as a tweet except it's going to someone's phone in text format. There's no way they are texting 500-1,000 different readers and having that many different conversations at once.

Now, Cleveland.com wants you to think they are. That's how they're selling it. They've made it sound like their writers are personally texting readers each day.

But, based on the texts I've read, it sounds like their writers are sending out one or two texts that goes to everybody. It's basically a tweet only in text form. That's how I take it anyway. And I honestly don't see how it could be done any other way without taking up every waking second the reporters have.

I would assume their readers will eventually figure this out and cancel their Project Text subscriptions.

Fredrick likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't disagree that it's a tweet in text form ('cause it is), but I think media vastly overestimates how many people use Twitter or give a hoot that it exists. So to a fair number of these subscribers, perhaps, these texts really feel like an inside line to the reporter that they've never imagined before.

wicked, Doc Holliday and FileNotFound like this.
  12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a screen shot?

I'm envisioning a push alert... but it doesn't link back to a story. Or do these actually come through someone's cellphone number like any other text?

If the user is that much of a fanboi, it seems like being able to show his buddies, "I got a text from Cleveland.com reporter" would be a big deal.

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted