1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You make a good argument. I’ll probably drop Gregorius, even though he’s the better long-term play over German. Starting pitchers are more valuable than position players, and I have Seager at SS for small money, so I’m hopefully set there for a long time.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're in the fourth year of a keeper/minors/auction league, and one person didn't show up for this year's auction, and it absolutely screwed things up. We got pissed off and started putting high priced injured players up for bid to bleed him out of the draft. Sucks for him, but oh well.

I still managed to unearth some low priced gems, like Adam Jones for $1. I had him at $22 last year. Ha.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would never want to be in a league that I had to miss a draft, but in an auction? You are absolutely screwing over your league by not showing up. He got what he deserved.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

Yeah, you gotta be there. It's essential.

I dropped Gregorius and got Cano. Not sure if anyone else bid on him, but I got him for $2. Solid addition to the team.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have a deep-ish league where I autodrafted, but have been very active since and like my team. The big hole is 3b where Jung Ho Kang is my only eligible player. I have Jeff McNeil who will get eligibility eventually, but it's taking a while and he's not much better. I put some feelers out for better 3bs, and got a counter back of Suarez for Clevinger. It's a deal I should be jumping at - buy low, sell high trade a strength for a weakness. Still, I haven't had Suarez on any teams since he got good because I'm not totally sold on him, and I think Clevinger will be legitimately great (though the 0 era is likely to rise). Anyone want to make me believe on Suarez?

6. outofplace

Be warned that Clevinger left his start yesterday with soreness in his upper back. The preliminary report is that he hopes to make his next start, but there is an injury concern.

Suarez's 2018 didn't come out of nowhere. He had stretches of that kind of play the previous two seasons. He always showed power and patience. The biggest difference in 2018 was consistency. He avoided the prolong slumps that held down his numbers the previous two seasons. He is only 27, so it's not like it is all that unusual that he was still growing toward his prime last season.

I think Suarez's downside is the 2017 version, which is still a useful player. I also like Clevinger more, but your need a third base seems to be significant. If you've got the pitching depth to make the move, I'd jump on it.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Clevinger is done for months.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I accepted last night and sent an email today offering to undo it.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For anyone here who needs to replace Clevinger, send me a proposal.

Give me a higher-end hitter and you can have one of my best pitchers.

10. outofplace

Sounds like the right way to handle it even though he made the offer.

The loss of Clevinger is a killer. My money league team may already be sunk. I was off to a hell of a start, too, just a point out of first after Monday's games. (It is a roto scoring league.)

My ace is now done until July. I also lost Knebel for the season, Gennett for the first half and Foltynewicz is an iffy proposition at best. That's a 15-team league with minor league spots, so the wire is a wasteland.

11. bigpern23

Trying to figure out what to do with Julio Urias in my dynasty league. Guy's been struggling, is likely headed to the bullpen. He's shown some incredible talent, but hasn't stayed healthy or effective for any length of time. Too soon to give up, or time to cut bait? What do you all think? If I drop him, I'd likely pick up Corbin Burnes as a stash and hope he gets sorted out, too.

12. outofplace

The only advantage I see for Burnes over Urias is the former probably has a longer leash because the Dodgers have more options if their guys get healthy. I don't mind moving on from Urias, but I wouldn't do it for Burnes.

My success in fantasy baseball is built on guys like Urias panning out. I live for post-hype sleepers that somebody else gave up on too soon.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted