1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And I covered that game. Needed a second-half comeback to beat Northern Arizona in a 2-15 game in Tucson. Got boatraced by Gonzaga in the next round.

exmediahack likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He won, went to the first Final Four by any state school, and he didn't get caught cheating. Of course he's going to get the big bucks, he got there before 'Bama did.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And before Tennessee did.

4. Neutral Corner

I live in Alabama, which is 80% 'Bama fans. Damn near no Auburn fan here will express it as getting there before Tennessee (or anyone else in the conference), but before UA? Oh yeah.

Grats on a solid season.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Three of his assistants have been whacked for actions attracting the attention of the FBI. The raise and extension proves, I suspect, that schools no longer think paying players is wrong and that the NCAA rules will soon reflect the change of mores.

6. Neutral Corner

I worded that carefully: "didn't get caught cheating". The SEC has always had flexible morals, particularly with regard to the NCAA.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yet.

Odds that he makes it through the second year of that deal?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 100% chance. No one cares about NCAA violations or rules anymore*.

*Unless you are Mizzou football

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

1) SEC Values.
    2) This confirms my earlier suspicions that the NCAA will soon bow to the wishes of the federal courts and allow for the payment of players. Paying players used to be stigmatized and relatively unpopular with the public, but that opinion is changing. LSU and Auburn and ultimately Kansas are essentially betting that by the time an investigation and enforcement process winds down, the tide of public opinion, backed by the judiciary, will render any NCAA decisions moot.

Kansas hasn't lifted a finger on Bill Self.
    University-6 is welcoming in a highly regarded recruiting class this fall. Clearly they've been able to sell prospects -- probably with considerable evidence -- that the days of punishment for paying players are over.

And NC State is apparently skating even though Gottfried basically paid Dennis Smith. The feds aren't on them.

LSU's statement indicates it's still terrified of being sued by Wade if it whacks him for cause. I'm not sure how this is the case, but they're happy to believe the story that Wade has spent the past month concocting in his brain about the meaning of the phrase "strong-ass offer."

I'm no longer opposed to having the players get paid. I'm OK with a market-based approach and could go for a system in which the schools actually dole out the cash provided they get enough time for existing, guaranteed, absurd, multi-million-dollar contracts for defensive coordinators to expire. But no matter how you come down on this issue, it's repugnant for a school to talk about its commitment to compliance with current rules while ignoring a blatant violation.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Varsity-level news dump by Joe Alleva. Right after Tiger wins the Masters and right before the Game of Thrones premiere. That’s pro shit.

11. Neutral Corner

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know - LSU fans would seem to be more jacked about a season premiere of Duck Dynasty, Storage Wars or the spring football games.

Draft saved Draft deleted