1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 10, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now that the “Tiger will never win another major” hot take is dead, I think “Rory will never win at Augusta” is next in line.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For as soft as Augusta was, it sure seemed to play hard. No one went low (under 68), at least from those close to the leaders after 54.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My hot take is Rickie won't ever win a Major. Although I don't know how hot that take is anymore.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I asked this elsewhere, but I'm curious about the opinions here: Did Tiger's win today - his 15th major championship - put Jack Nicklaus' record 18 back in play?

I'm pretty sure I declared on this board that Tiger's pursuit of 18 was dead at some point in the last few years. I believe I said it's also possible he'll never win another major (though I think couched that one, saying that a healthy Tiger could win again. The search function doesn't seem to be working for me, so I can't go back and check my posts.)

Today changes the calculus, though. His swing looks good, maybe even good enough to keep him healthy. His mind looks right, finally, after a real long hiatus.

Nineteen majors once seemed an inevitability for Tiger. That's certainly no longer the case. But, if nothing else, today made 19 a possibility.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always thought it was silly to say Tiger could never win another major when golf is such a fluky game that all it would've taken was for him -- or anyone, for that matter -- to have one great week. Always figured if he could stay healthy for a sustained stretch he'd at least have a couple of chances. There were certainly times where it looked like he couldn't stay healthy for long enough to get there, though.
    Now the big question is, can he still catch Nicklaus for the record?
    Anybody can get hot for a week and win one major. Can Tiger do it four more times in the next 3-4 years before his body gives out and the window closes? There's probably more competition across the board now than when he was at his apex, too.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

At the start of today, I thought someone would go low. Key to Augusta is to be under par after 3 holes. Then you get one on 8, hold on for dear life at 10,11,12, give yourself a chance to eagle 13 and/or 15, stuff one on 16, then put on the jacket.
    It sounds really easy in theory. But the pins were accessible, the greens were soft and no one adjusted. At the beginning of the day, I thought someone would get to 16 under.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think Rickie will win one.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Definitely depends on health. (And count me among those who said he'd never win another major. Or that it would be extremely unlikely).

He's playing at a high level right now, and he's won majors on the next two major courses. That, and he can probably be a factor at Augusta for another 8-10 years.

I mean, it's doubtful he gets to 18 or 19. But it's not impossible any longer.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If this was his "Jack in '86" swan song, it was great and I'm happy he got it. But it doesn't feel that way. It feels like he's got some more winning in him.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One thing about the later groups, that wind was picking up a lot.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd make the chances of Tiger catching Jack low but not impossible. As Woods himself noted after the win, all styles of players can win at Augusta if they know how to play the course (that is, error avoidance). Koepka finished second and not first because he had several double bogies mixed into his 72 holes and I don't believe Tiger did. It's a place where a great player can contend for a longer time span. It will be interesting to see how Bethpage Black is set up next month, when it will just barely be past its spring growth period. But this all makes it more interesting. Woods is now shooting for a record (and we all know he is) without the dominant position in the game that let him get close to it in the first place. It's a sportier do.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The thunderstorms ever hit in Augusta? Could they have gotten the tournament in with the regular schedule?

Draft saved Draft deleted