1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it (I don’t want to wade through pages and pages), but I believe this is Tiger’s first major win in which he played from behind to win on Sunday. Each of his other 14 majors, he went into Sunday with either the outright lead or a share of it.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yep, first time. Crazy stat.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think I heard he’s shot 70 on the Thursday in all five of his wins at Augusta. Also pretty cool if true.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Saturday’s third round of the Masters earned a 6.0 overnight rating on CBS, up 5% from last year (5.7), up 30% from 2017 (4.6), and the highest for the third round of the tournament since 2015 (6.5). Overnights peaked at a 7.0 from 6-6:15 PM ET.

I bet the overnights for this are double from Saturday.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I believe it was just four out of five. But haven't looked it up. I know he opened 40-30-70 in 1997.

Sea Bass likes this.
  6. MileHigh

1997: 70-66-65-69=270
    2001: 70-66-68-68=272
    2002: 70-69-66-71=276
    2005: 74-66-65-71=276
    2019: 70-68-67-70=275

Noted: Tiger shot 40 on the front nine in 1997, then went birdie-par-birdie-birdie-par-eagle-par-birdie-par and was off to the races.

Sea Bass likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Special stuff today. Tiger played 16 the last two days like few people ever have. Really something to behold.

The 12th hole keeps doing this to golfers, again and again. It's not the prettiest par 3 on the planet - that's 7 at Pebble. It's just the best par 3 on the planet.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One more thing: Tiger's the best combination of smarts and talent the game's ever seen. I think he's super-gifted, but he's not alone in that. But he's smarter than the most gifted golfers.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm not comparing '86 to '19; I just want to savor how fun and sweet this was to see come to fruition. Why get into some meaningless conflict about which was "better" or "more improbable"? Jack was 46, the oldest major win ever; but Tiger came back from what 11 surgeries? addiction to painkillers, chipping with a 4 iron at some Phoenix tournament?? It doesn't matter which was more distinguishing, what matters is that as a golf fan, I'm grateful to both Jack and Tiger that I got to watch both of them win a Masters that I never thought would happen.

'86 brings up a fantastic bit of trivia, Norman won the Saturday Slam that year (he led every major going into Sunday).

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Late to party from today.
    A few observations.....

Could you imagine the scene if Tiger makes a 1 on 16?

Molinari's tee ball on 12 may have been the poorest struck iron I've seen in a long time. That thing never had a prayer.

I dig McIlroy, but this place is his curse. I honestly don't think he can win here. Physically, it's there for him to win here, but it's like Buckner walking back into Shea after the back 9 debacle years ago.

I'm over the moon for LaCava. First major with Woods and 27 years after his win with Freddie. One of the great great guys.

11. MileHigh

You're better than this. Spieth twice at 12 in 2016 was so, so, so much worse.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Didn't think about that. It's the worst iron I've seen in 3 years then.
    I hope Tiger will play Zurich, but don't think he will.
    Probably take the next 2 weeks off, play Quail Hollow, take a week off, then play Bethpage.

Frightening concept here.
    PGA? Bethpage. Check.
    US Open? Pebble. Check.
    Open? Portrush.

Draft saved Draft deleted