1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I mentioned the struggles of Jose Ramirez earlier, but he's not alone. Nolan Arenado hit his first home run of the season in that game in San Francisco.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mariners gonna Mariner. Come home red-hot and lose three straight to Houston.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

WTF are the Cards doing pitching to Yelich? After just hitting one a minute ago, he has eight home runs against the Cards this season. Of his nine total.

That’s insane.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Matz, who had a 0.87 ERA entering play, left his start against the Phillies after surrendering like six runs and not recording an out for an infinite ERA on the day.

5. swingline

Sam Malone approves.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Posey with an OPS of .586; 1 more RBI than a dead man. I named my dog after him 7 yrs ago. Sad.

7. swingline

"1 more RBI than a dead man" would be a great song title — especially if it had nothing to do with baseball.

I'm thinking Pixies.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I stole it from Red Auerbach who once said after JB Carroll had 1 rebound in a game "he got one more rebound than a dead man." Love that quote.

swingline likes this.
  9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

This is insane.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

“If his tongue was out it would have a blister on it” – that’s a great line from the announcer

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's not exactly like getting swept by the Orioles. Could happen to any team. Houston's kind of good.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Houston is kind of good. In the Yankees series against them, their pitching was really tough, and Altuve hit a ball more than 450 feet to dead center. Amazing for such a little guy.

The Yankees played the first of two against Boston last night. I was flipping between the game and hockey, but from what I did see, Chris Sale looks sick. Apparently his velocity has been down, and even though he had moments with some pop on the ball last night, he was getting whacked around pretty good. A couple of hanging breaking balls that got drilled were so flat that even on TV you could see them just sitting there like they were on a tee waiting to be hit. If he doesn't get it together, it can't be good for the Red Sox.

On the Yankees side, James Paxton had his welcome to NY moment. There had been talk that he was tipping pitches, but last night he looked really good. A lot of mustard on his fastball and he was working quickly and confidently. With all of the Yankees injuries, and Severino out, the tease he gave last night was pretty welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted