1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As great as this was, I think Nicklaus in '86 remains the most iconic Masters moment and victory. That one just came out of nowhere and had so much magic to it on that front, in addition to it being the last big hurrah for Nicklaus. He was never really in contention until the back nine on Sunday and then won it by setting a course record.
    Tiger was in contention most of the way here. There was a lot of "can he really do it?" buzz going in, but not the same sort of "Did that really just happen!?" disbelief that comes with a performance like Nicklaus had.

MileHigh and Slacker like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think media today is such though that there is so much pre-hype - Who is gonna win? That pretty much every golfer is mentioned ahead of a tournament. We spend more time talking about what "might" happen than we do what did happen.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

@JC - am I wrong or have you posted here that Tiger would never win a Major again?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Agreed, completely.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will freely admit that when he started up again in the winter of 2018, I didn't think Woods would make it through a full season, let alone win another major. That doesn't make me dumb, just someone who played the injury percentages. It makes him truly great for shoving the percentages up my (and many others') ass.

6. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

The circumstances of their automobile accidents are a tad different.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I didn’t realize there is not that much of an age distance between Tiger now and Jack in 86.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but I was assuming Jack was over 50.

I think Jack in 86 was more surprising. Just look at the way they played 16, which is the iconic shot for each round.

Jack played it short and the ball drifted back to the hole. Tiger still has enough strength in his swing to draw an iron back off the top slope. Now I don’t know what the weather conditions were in 86, but the final day scoring was good.

Tiger still has some power in that swing. He’s not outdriving everyone by 30 yards anymore, but he’s still right there in driving distance.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I said he wouldn’t be as dominant again and that people were overreacting when he had a few good rounds.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is some serious bullshit. He went out and won the tournament, why did they not crumble when he was in contention last year?

expendable likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was classic Tiger in the sense that he hit a few great shots but really was able to get no drama pars over and over again (along with a no drama 5 when he needed bogey on 18)

11. John B. Foster

I don’t have the time, but I’m 95% sure you said he would never win a major again

12. John B. Foster

Lol. It’s okay. You hate the guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted