1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe the Patriots winning the Super Bowl against the Falcons? A great dynasty with one of the all-time great players that spent about 10 years without winning the big one. People never questioned their greatness or their accomplishments, but certainly wondered if the window had closed or was closing on them winning another championship.
    The Patriots were obviously a lot closer to breaking through during their drought than Tiger was, though.

In an individual sport, perhaps George Foreman's comeback in the early 1990s?
    He spent a long time away, became something of a punchline during his comeback, had some people who were not fond of him during his youth, then softened on a personal level and made a crazy comeback in his 40s to win the heavyweight title.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might have been mentioned already, but Tiger and Jack are now the only two people to win the Masters in three decades.
    Jack still has the longest span between first and (presumably) last Masters wins, though, at 24 years. Tiger's span is 22 years, although he could conceivably still change that.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Tiger got the job done when he needed. That’s the bottom line.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hoo boy, the hyperbole.

JC likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a great point. And maybe -- hopefully -- Tiger realizes it, and maybe -- hopefully -- even enjoys this victory especially because of it.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I hoped his daughter would say, "I wish Mom could be here to see this."

BTExpress and HanSenSE like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We live in the age of the hot take, the instant classic and the next big thing - I get the reluctance to buy in. But then again, I didn't think a horse winning the Triple Crown was that big of a deal when I saw it happen three times in my youth. I didn't understand how big the Nicklaus Masters win was. Or Jordan coming back. The point is - enjoy witnessing great sports moments when you can.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

With Tiger winning, at least when we read the headline we’ll know who won the tournament.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Nope. This had nothing to do with what kind of person Tiger is, or isn't.

This was all about his golf ability, and sport, and what a privilege it is to see or be a part of it at certain times.

Brooks Koepka got it: "You want to play against the best to ever play," Koepka said. "You want to go toe-to-toe with them. I can leave saying I gave it my all. He's just good, man."

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This was unquestionably one of the biggest moments in golf history, which is a long history indeed. I still wouldn't put it close to the Miracle on Ice, because that was probably the most astonishing upset in all sports history. A story can be really really big without being totally the biggest ever.

Sea Bass likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The kid from Norway/Okie State winning this tournament in 2002 or 2003, when Woods was in his absolute prime, would be the legit comparison to the collegians who comprised the US 1980 Olympic hockey team not only defeating the Soviets, who were the greatest team in the world at the time, but also defeating outstanding teams from several other countries.

Tiger winning today while all those around him gagged is a great story, but not a legit comparison to the Miracle on Ice.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Great as this was, it might not be the greatest comeback in golf history, depending on how you look at it. Hogan winning the US Open at Merion less than two years after being on the verge of death from traumatic injuries is up there, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted