1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer | Manhattan (KS) Mercury

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

We're looking for a deadline-driven writer to cover high school sports for The Manhattan Mercury in Manhattan, Kansas.

The APSE award-winning Mercury covers the 6A Manhattan High Indians as well as five smaller area schools, so we need someone who can juggle the schedules of numerous sports teams for the greatest coverage and best stories possible. The person also will assist with K-State sports coverage. Night and weekend hours are required.

Manhattan is a young, vibrant city of 56,000 in the scenic Flint Hills. It's home to Kansas State University and adjacent to Fort Riley. It has a small-town atmosphere with big-city amenities. Nearby, Tuttle Creek Lake and Konza Prairie wildlife preserve provide lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation.

The Mercury offers a benefits package that includes medical, vision, dental, three weeks vacation after the first year and profit-sharing plan. Bachelor's degree and reporting experience a plus, but most of all, we want someone who is intelligent, hungry and willing to work as part of a team.

The Mercury's sports staff placed in the top 10 in the Associated Press Sports Editors annual writing contest in four different categories and also was named a top-10 website in the country for its class.

To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three to five writing clips to Megan Moser at mmoser@themercury.com. No phone calls, please.

2. Justin Toscano

Justin Toscano New Member

This is my job. If anyone is interested, you can DM me on Twitter @JustinCToscano. Would be happy to answer any questions in an honest manner.

3. Writer

Writer Member

Did you take a position somewhere else?

4. Justin Toscano

Justin Toscano New Member

Yes. Not leaving on bad terms.

5. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

I know some of the folks at this paper, and I've been told that they'll continue taking applicants through the end of this weekend or so.

Needless to say, if you're interested in this gig, I'd advise hurrying up and sending your materials their way.

6. Is this job still available? If so, I'm interested.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In the spirit of this, the Easter and Passover seasons, I'll refer you to the post just above yours, And, because it's a tradition around here, fetch me a beer:

8. It has been sent to them. I'm hoping for the best! :)

9. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

I've been told this position has been filled. Not sure when the winner will announce publicly.

10. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

For those wondering who landed this gig ...

11. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Hope he enjoys the sub-30K salary in a state with high taxes and cost of living.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Kansas has a high cost of living? Compared to where?
    Crapping on someone's unknown salary because it might be less than you'd accept is a weird flex.

Tom Ato, Liut and Writer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted