1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Lando's laugh > Force ghost Palpatine's laugh

Wenders and bigpern23 like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, but that was the one genuine surprise in the trailer. I hadn't even considered some sort of appearance by Palpatine as a possibility.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing some concept art for The Force Awakens where two people explore a sunken Death Star, especially the emperors throne room. It appears we see a semi submerged Death Star in one cut.

5. outofplace

To me, the most interesting reveal it the article is that Ian McDiarmid participated in the panel and confirmed that he will once again play Emperor Palpatine, though perhaps he is only a force ghost.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Can a ghostly Jar Jar be far behind?

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You haven't seen "Solo"? Somehow, that's hard to believe. I'm not judging, just very surprised. Or, did you mean "Phantom Menace"?

8. outofplace

Why would a Star Wars fan be more likely to see Solo than Phantom Menace? When the latter came out, we hadn't seen a new Star Wars movie in 16 years, since Return of the Jedi. I saw Phantom Menace opening weekend. We had three other new Star Wars movies in a relatively short span of time leading up to Solo.

I have seen it since I posted that last year. It was okay.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

It took me a while to see Solo as well. Just wasn't as hype for it as I was for the new trilogy. Well, at least for 'TFA'. Finally saw it. It was a huge 'meh' for me.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I may have posted this earlier, but I thought Solo was surprisingly fun. Ehrenreich was predictably the worst part of it, but he was just good enough, I suppose. Donald Glover was the highlight and Chewbacca got some really good screen time. It wasn't great, but it exceeded my low expectations.

The trailer for The Rise of Skywalker definitely whetted my appetite for the final installment of the Skywalker saga. It looks awesome, especially if we get to see Kylo ditch the pouting teenager act and go full on Sith Lord. The story doesn't pick up where The Last Jedi leaves off, so I assume we'll see Kylo's skills have grown.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No more likeliness involved. I thought maybe I'd misread the post and was just wanting to figure correctly which movie you meant. And, I was just surprised to see you hadn't seen Solo, even at that point.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm so happy about this. Palpatine is my absolutely most favourite character not just in Star Wars but in all works of fiction ever.

Besides, they've been really good at not recycling characters or plot lines or specific shots from previous movies. I'm glad they're indulging themselves just this once.

Draft saved Draft deleted