1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

This is a pretty crazy and fun stat.

cyclingwriter2 and bigpern23 like this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, as a Dodgers fan, most of the big moments belong to the Cards -- Ozzie HR, Jack Clark HR, lighting up Kershaw every postseason. All we have is Matt Holiday dropping a fly ball in 2009 NLDS, leading to a Dodgers sweep.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

This can't be right....

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd have to see the breakdown of the years first and maybe it counts this year as part of it but that doesn't make any sense on the surface

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Some people are saying it's among the worst contracts ever for a player. I'm stunned by it.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, now we know who was the one person who bought the Spanish language edition of The Art of the Deal.

mpcincal and Elliotte Friedman like this.
  7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

The Sox and Yankees had something like that in 03 or 04. If I have the years correct.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He's making $575,000 and year right now. He's a free agent in 2024 with the old deal. Now he will not be a free agent until he's 29 or 2026? Right?

What would he have earned before 2024 with two years of arbitration? He also would not have arbitration until 2021. Let's say he gets hurt in the next two years. Right now he has $35 mil with another big contract coming for the second half of his career.

If you assume that he stays healthy, taking this money is a bad idea. If you assume that he does not need more money to help get family to America or to a safer place, then this is a bad deal.

I don't think it is great for these players to do this, but I don't think it's awful either.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I generally think these extensions are overrated for the team. There's a ton of value in having a player's rights with no guaranteed money.

And look it from Albies' perspective. The only money he's ever made from baseball was a $350k signing bonus (who knows how much went to his handler), the minor-league below-minimum-wage pittances, and a year and a half at the league minimum.

Now he could be suffer a career-ending injury tomorrow and be guaranteed $35 million dollars. That's a big deal.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Mariners are 13-2. Unbelievable. I know it can't last but damn, they've actually been fun to watch.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The deal counts this year and next, so hypothetically it is a five-year, 34 million contract.

His agent is a dope. They could have countered with 7 for 70, with the two options going to 9 for 90, and the Braves would have signed it in a heartbeat

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The thing that surprises me about this is that he accepts that the Braves value him roughly 1/3 as much as they value Acuna. Acuna is the better player, of that I have no doubt. But is he three times as good as Albies? If I'm Albies, I'd have a difficult time accepting that. Make that deal 7/$75M and I think you'd be more in the ballpark of an offer that isn't insulting.

That said, if Albies is happy pocketing $35M guaranteed and setting up his family for life, I'm not going to begrudge him for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted