1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight appears to be slipping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 6, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Fetch me a beer, newbie.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

About as good as living in West Lafayette, Indiana.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Right after I finish this Phil Collins story.

justgladtobehere and TigerVols like this.
  4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

It is, actually, but like everyone else, I would like to return to talking about Bob Knight’s health, and I apologize for starting this rabbit trail.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They’re finally widening that one last stretch of 322, I hear. And at least you have 99 on your side of the mountain now, and thank God the Narrows were fixed.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"He's listed as day-to-day, but, then again, aren't we all?" - Dan Patrick.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Indiana colleges note.

I found IU lovely. Purdue was fine. ND has a certain somethingnessas you stroll the little lake.

Evansville is like a different planet entirely.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Anybody have any insight on Hammel? It sounds like he was at practice about every day, and traveled with the team.

Did he not think Knight's antics were a big deal, or sell his soul for his friend and access? In either case, seems to be a pretty bad dereliction of duties as a journalist.

Or I guess the third option could be Knight never did the 1,000 or so things he was accused of doing throughout the years.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was also a different time.

The shit you can do in 1976 may not be even close to being acceptable today.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hammel was Knight's stenographer. After every IU game that I can remember from back in the day, he'd write the game story and a column which was basically Knight's postgame transcript. I'm not going to completely dog him, he was an encyclopedia of IU basketball and writing to his market, which was a Knight-worshipping Bloomington and rural southern Indiana. And Knight's antics as a boor and a bully weren't always newsworthy in the same way then, the culture was different. But nonetheless, the H-T was not the place to read about them.

Stoney likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted