1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They could have chosen not to trade up for him.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

They traded up one spot (they definitely overpaid for that), but that wasn't the point; they were expected to get one of the top 2 quarterbacks, and they needed to do whatever it took to be in a position to get one of them.

3. outofplace

To say they didn't have a choice is simply not accurate. They could have stayed at No. 3. Instead they overpaid to move up a spot for the guy. If they did that just to relieve pressure from the fans, they were idiots.

I'm not saying it was wrong to pick the guy there. If you have the No. 2 overall pick in that draft and you don't have a great quarterback, you take Leaf. At the time, that was the right call. To claim otherwise is pure hindsight. But to say they had no choice when they gave up so much to trade up for him simply isn't true.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

Bell wanted more money. Brown wanted more money. Both of them did what they did before Colbert's comment. Somebody's reaching really hard to play the race card and he's ignoring the higher value placed on quarterbacks to do it.

Colbert's comment was asinine. I'll give him that. The rest, well, perhaps he should notice that Pouncey and Foster are backing Roethlisberger and perhaps he should take note of their race.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

That ratio.....

I know, not really off-season news. Just did not know where to post it.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Standard sportswriters make $150k!?!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Fuck me. I left the biz way too soon!

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted