1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Uh, not to get defensive...but on what planet Is FSU less/equally academically selective than ASU?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You are right - looked it up - FSU is 55 percent acceptance rate, ASU is 82.9. Which further begs the question why ASU isn't better and at Florida State's level.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

My guess is that the next coach will have Duke ties. Mike Cragg has a direct line to K.
    Dawkins?
    Nate James?
    If Jim O’Connell we’re still with us, he’d know.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not sure about that.

Bill Freider - also known as the guy who left Ann Arbor when Bo kicked him out for looking before the end of the Wolverines' season - never could get traction in Tempe.

The folks at Arizona State moneywhipped Herb Sendek out of Raleigh, gave him a lot of time and he couldn't quite get the program where he had NCSU before leaving - understandable given the awful way he was treated by folks proclaiming themselves keeper of the Wolfpack faith - and ended up fired in Tempe.

Bobby Hurley's grade is understandably an incomplete. Hasn't had enough time there. Yet.

But IMO he could get it done at St. John's. Remember, his father was a successful coach at a private school in Jersey City. He knows the metro area well.

Disagree that the program won't get back to prominence without ESPN's - or anyone else's - help. The key is recruiting the city. I mean, you're trying to tell me a top coach cannot convince three or four of the city's best to head to Jamaica, play at the Garden and stay in the area?

One of problems, I suspect, is that the damage Mike Jarvis caused by burning bridges with the coaches in the area still has not been entirely healed. Did Chris Mullin help that? Too many people who know more than I - and all but a few of us on this board - said that he didn't put the work in.

That won't be a problem with Hurley. And, recalling his Durham connections, Mike Cragg might think so, too.

5. Sam Mills 51

Leonard Hamilton didn't get it turned around overnight in Tallahassee. Or it was a multi-year overnight success ... pick your viewpoint.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The list almost certainly starts with Hurley and Dawkins. I wouldn't like him even close to over these two but Amaker could be in the mix if you want a Duke connection

7. Sam Mills 51

Can't see Amaker. His wife works at Harvard, IIRC, and I think he remembers how little fun he had in Ann Arbor.

OTOH, he did well in South Orange and he has more than a little familiarity with the area.

Dawkins? Could see it ... it should be a step up from UCF.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I can't see it either and he hasn't been on any lists I've seen, but it's been a bit since his last NCAA tourney, he's tied for 1st the past two years and been stuck in the NIT. Not saying Harvard would get antsy but who knows. And if you are going to move up to a bigger job, NYC to Boston due to the wife's job is very doable.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Speaking of sleeping giants....surprised the Big 12 hasn't brought UCF in already.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If the Big 12 wasn't going to bring in Wichita State when they left the Valley and were flirting with the idea if bringing football back, they weren't going to add anyone new.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Houston and Memphis. Sitting right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted