1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just started "The Impossible Climb" by Mark Synnott. It's about Alex Honnold free soloing El Cap (as seen in the movie "Free Solo"). Synnott is an accomplished climber and covers the history of rock climbing in the US while giving a pretty good bio of Honnold - at least in the first couple of chapters.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Days of Rage" by "Barbarian at the Gates" co-writer Bryan Burrough. A harrowing look at 1970s underground radical groups like the Weathermen and the Patty Hearst group. Strong stuff.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have been reading this. About 3/4 of the way through. It's taking me forever, but that is more a commentary about my ability to keep my eyes open past 8:45 pm than it is about the book, which is fantastic. It's one of the better novels I have picked up in a long time. It's everything you said so far, and I can't wait to see how it ends up. He did such a great job of developing the characters, all kind of like people all of us know, and he fleshed out a sense of the dark underbelly of the town incredibly well, while keeping the pace up and getting me really interested. During the big moment in the book, so far at least, I felt so invested emotionally. Very few writers can pull that off.

Kato likes this.
  4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And there's a sequel! "Us Against You" is waiting on my bedside pile.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Beartown was probably my favorite book last year.

What!! There’s a sequel?? I’m in.

HC likes this.
  6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I finished "Us Against You" today and absolutely loved it. There aren't many books that can move me to tears but this one did. This is a sequel that more than lives up to its predecessor. Indelible characters and a real understanding of human nature. Highly recommended.

qtlaw likes this.
  7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I've just barely gotten into this, but it's fascinating thus far. It's a graphic novel of what a film collaboration between Salvador Dali and Harpo Marx might look like. I heard the author speak last night, and he said he spent six years working on the book, and much of that time was spent doing research. He's got good stories to tell about dealing with the Dali Foundation, the guy who handles the Marx Brothers properties and Harpo's son.

His talk was followed by a showing of A Night at the Opera, so it was a really good evening.

Joe Bob says check it out.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tyler Kepner's K is excellent. I'm only 50 pages in, but I'll be continuing for sure. He tells the history of pitching by concentrating on one different pitch for each of 10 chapters. So far in a chapter and a half he's talked to Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Steve Carlton, JR Richard, John Smoltz, Bob Gibson ... the list goes on and on. It's amazingly researched and tells some solid stories about the times these guys used whichever pitch is being discussed. This is going to be on many year-end best-of lists.

[​IMG]

garrow, CD Boogie and John B. Foster like this.
  9. Flip Wilson

I'm not a baseball fan at all, but that sounds pretty fascinating.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

yeah, I'll definitely be checking that out

11. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

The author spent his year as a Fulbright rehearsing with and researching the history of the circus, mainly in France, but touches on circuses from around the world. Really interesting stuff. It could have used a little editing, but enjoyed it.

Joe Bob says check it out.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Has anyone else read "Bad Blood" the story of the Theranos con job (and the subject of a new HBO doc and an upcoming movie)? A lot of these books come with the tag line "reads like a thriller" and in the case it is totally accurate, especially over the last third when the author gets involved in the story after getting tipped off. A lot of the science regarding blood testing etc. went right over my head but on nearly every page something happened that made you think, "these bright, wealthy people who made up their board and/or were investors are buying this bullshit?" Riveting stuff.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted