1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by cnagel, Apr 9, 2019.

1. cnagel

cnagel New Member

I graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln last May. Moved to Stillwater, OK, in August where my wife is a graduate student at OSU. Got hired as a sports reporter at the Enid News & Eagle in November. Just an amateur looking for honest feedback on my previous work.

Below is a link to my portfolio. Any advice, critique, flat-out bashing is appreciated.
    Cody Nagel - Writing Portfolio

2. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

I'll say this: the portfolio assembly itself looks great. I wish I'd had this kind of technology available when I was starting out and photocopying clips from the NYDN.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

This is a great package of clips for someone just starting out. So all my feedback is just picking nits.

— Bump up the stories where you got access to information your readers couldn’t get on their own. The six-man football team story, in particular. The Hail Varsity pieces are good, but the Nebraska football fan piece probably didn’t tell Huskers fans much they didn’t already know.

— Get the Broncos championship column out of there. It’s an OK piece in the middle of great ones.

— Look for opportunities to report outside of sports when you can. You’ve got a good foundation of skills. Find as many ways to build on it as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted