1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Looking ahead one year) RIP Deadspin, rest of Gizmodo Media Group

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Univision sells Gizmodo Media Group to private equity firm - CNN

Univision just sold the entire store (including The Onion) to a private equity firm.

The vultures will probably be able to sell off The Onion name once they're done wringing out every possible dollar from the company.

Great day for the Deadspin haters, I guess.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has anyone yet done a deep dive on the decline of digital publishing? Doesn't exactly seem to be in a growth mode anymore. Between that, print's ongoing travails and cable TV dealing with cord-cutting - is there anything left?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know that digital publishing -- as a broad category -- ever really was at a place where you can lament the decline.

But almost everyone who had, and stuck with, with an advertising model, has struggled. Google and Facebook rake in online advertising money. As they should. They reach almost everyone. There isn't much ad revenue left for anyone else.

There are people succeeding with digital assets right now, but they are relying on subscription revenue, not ads. In newspapers, the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, NY Times, etc. are hanging in there nicely. Which brings it back to the tried-and-true trope of content being king. You need to really provide something special to get people to pay for it.

The challenge moving forward is that there is a limit to how much people can afford. If it comes to choosing between your Netflix subscription or HBO and The Athletic or ESPN+, plus a couple of podcasts and the NY Times, are those dollars going to prove to be stretched thin?

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Apple just announced a news subscription with access to magazines and some papers. In the wake of that I have heard and read suggestions that Apple should bundle all its services (news, tv, music, etc.). It's an answer to people having to subscribe to a bunch of services while locking them into the Apple products. The main issue seems to be how good the content is on Apple TV+.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I can barely read The New Yorker online. And that's an exception. I can't imagine paying for Wired, SI, Esquire, GQ or anything else online. The content is just not there.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At least at The Post, some of the top stories are merely rewritten from other newspapers and turned into a Post headline. Like that Bob Knight article that the Post rewrote off the Indy Star's story.

Which is shitty.

7. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

The problem with Apple's move is that the NYT, which has seen spectacular growth in its digital sales, won't come onboard. They got the WSJ, but without the NYT, it's just not compelling enough.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Post has found a nice space between being a clickbait factory and having serious Washington reporting to round things out. The Morning Mix-type stuff is very “Today”-ish and I’m sure helps with morning traffic.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Deadspin has done this for years.
    That Stacks section or whatever they call(ed) it was pure theft.

Draft saved Draft deleted