1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Running NCAA/March Madness thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 17, 2019.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Don’t move the goalposts. You said you could root for one of these teams for 50 years and not see a title. I just proved you wrong. Thought you wine and cheese at tailgates, necktie motherfuckers were supposed to be smart.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

UNLV is on the list of teams who have won a title. Any school can do it if you have the right AAU connection$.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was listening to One Shining Pod on the way into work, and they made basically that very point. Think of the programs that have reached the Final Four in the last 15 years: George Mason, VCU, Loyola, Butler, Gonzaga, Texas Tech ... none are traditional powers. (Though Gonzaga of course has been very relevant for two decades now.) There is a model in place for success if you catch the right combination of lightning in a bottle/good bag guy.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

At what point do we just consider Gonzaga a traditional power? This is two decades we’re on currently.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're right, they really shouldn't be lumped in with the others. They're the best program on the West Coast and it hasn't been particularly close in recent years.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

Plus it appears they have the resources to maintain the competitive edge, which isn’t something you can say about programs like UNLV and Butler, which immediately dropped off when the coach who built them up left.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9 straight sweet 16s or better. 21 straight tournament appearances, 10 of which is a regional semi or better. The acquit themselves well in the tourney. Is there a team that plays in a conference that weak that consistently does that? Do they need to play in a better conference to get that more respect?

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Add UConn to that list. An improbable title run with all of Calhoun's guys and then falling into the abyss of woe.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I just don't know where they'd go. The Mountain West has fallen off a cliff. The Pac-12 would never admit them. The WCC has been pretty good in the past ... when BYU and St. Mary's have it going, I'd say it's a league that's equal to or even better than the Mountain West.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

I blame that more on the AAC move finally catching up to them more than Calhoun, though that certainly played a role.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

I don't know what the hell they were babbling about to begin with. It's not like their trophy case has anything beyond a lunch pail and a Metallica cassingle.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT EXPLAIN YOURSELF*

*unless it's a cassingle from 1991 or after then your point is well made

Draft saved Draft deleted