1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Knight appears to be slipping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s a little insensitive to say it that way, but I don’t care. In my opinion, he’s a terrible human being who always treated those around him like dirt.

Anyway ...

Hall of Fame college basketball coach Bob Knight appeared to struggle with his memory during a speaking engagement Thursday, confusing players from the heyday of his coaching career, introducing his wife several times and seeming disoriented during a question-and-answer session.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...g-speaking-engagement/?utm_term=.d13f547a95ad

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So WaPo will say it about Knight but won't go there with Trump.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

did he talk about the final against the originsmen

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As long as dementia is inevitable you might as well sit back and enjoy it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Iron_chet, BadgerBeer and Killick like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Trump is so weird that he'll get something of a pass until he, for example, repeats the same introduction or same story multiple times. That, sadly, is one of the telltale signs. Now Knight's wife has to step in to the best of her ability and stop the public appearances.
    This is why I never got the opposition to Pat Summitt's gradual removal. Forcing her out was an act of humanitarianism because, at some point, there was going to be a taped press conference in which she forgot players' names or thought her team had won when it had lost.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Poor Karen. Every 10 minutes he’ll be screaming at her about how he’s sick and fucking tired of losing to Purdue.

wicked likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

Yeah. I thought about that. But it could also go the other way. It might mellow him out. You never know with this stuff.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ask Quinn Buckner or Delray Brooks how awful he is.

I’ll take 100 Bob Knights over one Will Wade.

Knight is incredibly flawed he in some areas, but he is incredibly positive in others.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

Full disclosure: I think knight is the classic bully and I have no sympathy for him with any bad that happens to him. That said, I watched the slow slide in my grandfather from Alzheimer’s, which became noticeable in 1987 and got progressively worse until his death. Knight will more than likely become more angry in the early stages as he becomes more disoriented and confused. CNN did a documentary on Glen Campbell as he dealt with it and they showed a brief clip of him freaking out because he couldn’t remember where something was.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

That’s the case of doing one good thing to try and make up for the 100 bad you did. Think that secretary he threw the plant at thinks he’s a great guy?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you go through life treating other people like used toilet paper, you deserve the shit that sticks to you

12. tapintoamerica

In an ideal and implausible world, every former Knight player would feel empowered to reveal his true feelings about him. All the defenders. All those who transferred. And all those who were conflicted. Remember that you don't get the full count of his former players unless you include those who left for whatever reason.
    How would the polling go? How many Buckners? How many critics? And how would that approval rate compare to similar, theoretical polling regarding other coaches?
    I suspect the true level of admiration for Knight isn't as great as it is presumed to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted