1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did anyone credit the OP with a nod to Fargo in the thread title? Excellent work.

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Affirmative privilege

One of the most common ways money can help bolster a student’s chances of acceptance is through college admissions consulting. These consultants have visited hundreds of colleges and forged years-long relationships with university officials, so they know how much weight schools place on GPA, extracurriculars and other factors. They relay this information to students, helping them navigate the complicated admissions process.

Some families approach consultants early on for guidance in selecting stellar middle and high schools that will put their children on a path to prestigious colleges. As time goes on, a consultant might help teens pick out high school courses or internships that will set them apart from their classmates, or assist them in formulating application essays, said Mark Sklarow, chief executive of the Independent Educational Consultants Assn. Most consultants charge between $2,000 and $10,000 for a comprehensive package, according to the association. Some charge more than $75,000, depending on the type of service. The industry has ballooned as college admissions have become more cutthroat. The number of independent education consultants quadrupled between 2005 and 2018, and the industry pulled in an estimated $2 billion in revenue last year alone, according to market research firm IBISWorld

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

justgladtobehere and exmediahack like this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I have more than a few years of working on the ground with kids in treatment. (I am no longer in this field because most pay upgrades require "x" years of sobriety. That doesn't work out too well when you've never used drugs, but that's for another anecdotal ramble.) The last court-ordered program I worked with had both buyers and sellers in the populaton. The sellers were almost always poor, POC, and there at the behest of the county juvie system on a last chance basis on the state's dime. The buyers were almost always white, relatively affluent, and their parents' insurance companies hounded our intake staff on a daily basis.

In the classroom, the buyers were often indifferent. They didn't care. Mama or Daddy or Gramma was gonna buy them college and a business. No need to try. The sellers were rough. A lot of them had almost no idea how to be in a classroom, at least at first. Then something would click and they saw we were feeding them more than just Second Harvest dreck at noon. They weren't pressured to do more than just learn.

You want to learn the planets? Fine. Let's do the whole solar system. That's the sun. It's hella big. Then there's Mercury, Venus, Earth... Yeah. That's home. We're here and we're all made of the same four elements and a smattering of other stuff. We'll talk about that in a minute. Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. (At the time. Damn you, NDT!)

This is the Periodic Table of Elements. We're gonna learn every one of them. Yes you can. It's not that hard and you're smart.

"Titus Andronicus" is some dark stuff. There's revenge and cannibalism and some serious cutting. Let's parse this out. Meet Tamora the Goth. Yes, she was a Goth...

And you know what? They were either brilliant actors or they really did eat up every damned minute of attention and care that went with that classroom time.

When I think about what we have probably lost when those kids walked out after 28, 45, 90 days and there was no followup, it makes me damned mad. This situation makes me damned mad.

7. heyabbott

I’m not particularly interested in the war on drugs and Ive actually been on the ground for the war for 30 years. It’s not the drugs that bother me. It’s not the shitty choices that grown ups makes to do the drugs.
    There are 2 things that drugs truly affect andboth are worth fighting a war.
    1. People who abuse drugs and have babies and continue to abuse drugs. Both the sire and dam arereprehensiblefor this. Lousy parenting.
    2. The violence associated with drugs. Everybody robs and shoots everybody

That’s who needs to buried under the jail, the ones who are violent

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

"They were experiencing the same response to a changing America that ultimately brought Donald Trump to office: white displacement and a revised social contract. The collapse of manufacturing jobs has been to poor whites what the elite college-admissions crunch has been to wealthy ones: a smaller and smaller slice of pie for people who were used to having the fattest piece of all."

They Had It Coming

10. heyabbott

I get it. And empathize. They look out and say, I didn’t invent the system that causes you trouble. I deplore the system that causes you trouble. I don’t engage in the practices that caused you trouble. I didn’t do anything wrong and I’ll be damned if I and my family will be punished for your troubles which I didn’t cause or participate.

It’s the reparations argument. The Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Polish, Jewish Immigrants who came in the later half of the 19th century did not participate in slavery or the founding and enforcing of Jim Crow laws. Grab the English-Scottish Gentry who were the southerners.

11. heyabbott

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This is a great quote, too:

A successful first meeting often consisted of walking them back from the crack pipe of Harvard to the Adderall crash of Middlebury and then scheduling a follow-up meeting to douse them with the bong water of Denison.

Draft saved Draft deleted