1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Philly's done well with castoff RBs the last few years.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Jerome Bettis Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

You could be describing Jerome Bettis -- another guy who couldn't catch, had no breakaway speed, and whose YPC decreased in his first three years before he was traded to Pittsburgh. A sixth-round pick seems like a steal for a guy with that much upside.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Howard isn't Bettis, but it's not a bad comparison. I had forgotten that Howard is only entering his age 25 season. Apparently, he didn't fit into the system the Bears want to run, but dealing him away for so little does seem like a mistake.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Howard can't shift gears into breakaway speed, and he's not going to catch many balls out of the backfield. OTOH, he's reliable, and he has the habit of nearly always falling forward for the extra yard or two at the end of a run. I guess Chicago figures that they have the RB slot covered, but having a second back as good as Howard is damn good insrance.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm sure that his wife will be super delighted with no income AND having him around the house...

Slacker likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Quite predictably, the Jets' new uniforms suck and only reinforce how horrible the franchise is. One good test of a team going nowhere is when it changes the uniforms. Means they got nothing else.
    Here's a uniform change story. In the fall of 2001, the Patriots business side did not (neither did anyone else in the franchise) foresee what was coming in the next four months. The plan was that they would go back to the old style red uniforms with the blue and white hoops and the Pat Patriot helmet for 2002, and that the emblem on the 50 yard line would be Pat Patriot. Then they won the Super Bowl and that whole plan was deep-sixed as far as they could sink it, but not far enough for me and others to learn about it. A great loss for art, I must say.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

This just in: Aaron Rodgers is still a jerk

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The sad part is the Steelers did significant damage to the team for the 2019 season with their efforts to give Brown what he wanted. They allowed themselves to be played by that jackass.

The entire fiasco was in service of Brown's desire to get big guaranteed money even though he was locked into the extension he had signed with the team. He knew the Steelers wouldn't renegotiate and sitting out his age-30 season would have been a terrible idea, so indulged his inner punk to get out of town and it worked.

Brown tried to paint the organization and Roethlisberger as the bad guys, but he just can't seem to help himself. That said, it isn't really relevant. He won and the Steelers lost.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

i respectfully disagree the shade of green with the green helmets harkens back to the halcyon days of 10-6 oh god this is my life where's my paper bag

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted