1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, he did, though I don't think they showed it. That goes back to the idea of it being a little confusing at least in part because it was rushed.

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I dunno, only takes about 2 weeks to walk to Durham, NC from the DC area. So it's plausible that they move south as the temps drop and return to their "home grounds" in the summer. It's just how I explained it away.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

As they left they showed a roof all burned out. But yeah...one scene of a fire would have helped.

4. outofplace

But they might have cut Negan making fun of the romantic quadrangle!

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Right. And they had made those pipes an issue earlier in the season, too. Some busted pipes a bit of exposition by Ezekiel that you have to know when to let something go aren't nearly adequate to explain the Kingdom's fall after we spent a season building hope for it.

6. outofplace

But the message was that the Kingdom didn't fall. It just moved to become part of Alexandria. That was the entire point of the conversation between Ezekial and Michonne.

7. bigpern23

Philosophically, sure, but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean in the physical sense that they no longer had the supplies or infrastructure to keep their community in place. The fair, which was the centerpiece of the season, was supposed to allow the Kingdom to continue on (in the same place). If that didn't work, they should have explained why, beyond simply "there was a fire and some broken pipes."

8. bigpern23

I guess. Again, we didn't see any of that. They just showed them standing around in what looked a lot like the place they'd been and saying that they were taking some time away. Another case of them telling us instead of showing us. It felt thrown together.

It won't stop me from watching next season, but that was arguably the worst episode of the series (I'm sure I'm forgetting some bad ones, but this one has to be in the conversation).

9. outofplace

That was the reason why, but again, they rushed it. I think we agree that it was badly executed.

So what you have is this storyline of the heroes trying to save a place, a kingdom, only to have to abandon that place before realizing the kingdom exists wherever its people go?

Walking Dead = Thor: Ragnarok?

If you think about it, Michonne's message to Ezekiel is very much like what Odin told Thor about Asgard in a vision in Thor: Ragnarok. "Asgard is not a place. It never was. This could be Asgard. Asgard is where our people stand."

10. bigpern23

Same with How to Train Your Dragon 3.

11. outofplace

I'm sure we could come up with others. I just thought it helped to demonstrate that the issue was execution, not theme, because Thor: Ragnarok had a similar storyline and people loved it.

I'm actually trying to come up with another third movie in a series that was substantially better than both of its predecessors.

12. bigpern23

Agreed. I don't have a problem with the theme (even if it has very recently become played out), it was definitely how poorly they executed it. They could have spent parts of an entire season showing it. The first half of next season shows how the trade routes are helping them with supplies and they begin to thrive, but the infrastructure is crumbling bit by bit. Pipes burst and they face danger scavenging pipes from elsewhere. People die. Cliffhanger at the midseason finale is the fire (which they can't put out because of the pipes and running water issues). More people die. Second half shows the dangers the Kingdom faces as they try to fix the infrastructure while fending off a zombie horde or the Whisperers, and then this week's episode wraps it all up. At least then it would have made sense instead of just getting thrown in as practically a non sequitur.

Draft saved Draft deleted