1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The idea that trumps entire presidency is some kind of Brewster’s Millions type scenario makes sense to me.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He was batshit crazy back then, too? Who knew?

/bluefont

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm trying to keep it away from politics, but he was an absolute disaster as an owner. Nobody did more to destroy that league than Donald Trump.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Frankly, when any venture goes belly-up, would employees expect a free ride home?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hoo boy what a flustercluck. It's like someone thought they could just walk into the door of any NFL team and they'd just hand over the contracts of the reserves. And giving away your product to TV? I can see how they ran out of money so quickly.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The lack of TV revenue for the first year does explain it. If you're going to agree to that kind of deal, don't you need a massive investor up front? I'm no businessman, but man ....
    I'm guessing that someone in NFL HQ is leaking those details now that the AAF is belly-up.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sounds like the younger Ebersol is a chip off the block of old Dick "plausibly live" Ebersol.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I imagine the NFL owners, and maybe even the NFLPA, might have been agreeable to some kind of taxi-squad arrangement for 3rd-stringers, but only after the AAF had proven itself as a fairly stable operation.

Whatever kind of arrangement anybody came up with, it was going to have to be part of the new CBA.

And the NFL is simply not going to put up with con men trying to blackmail their way into the NFL umbrella.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How many startup football leagues have had a merger or partnership of some sort with the NFL as the ultimate goal in their business model?
    I think one (the AFL) has succeeded.
    Reminds me of the tech industry model, where the way to get rich is to develop one good idea and then got bought out for millions.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To work, I think the NFL has to have control of the league and perhaps they allow local investors to "buy in" for a local operation provided they meet and continue to meet specific criteria. Local partner responsible for obtaining local venue, marketing, ticket sales and sponsorship, league handles coaching, personnel and medical staff similar to baseball's model. NFL retains at least 51 percent interest in league.

Draft saved Draft deleted