1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Apollo 11 - fantastic, unbelievable footage; looks like it happened today. Got chills remembering the event (I was 6.) Bonus was that the aircraft carrier that retrieved them (USS Hornet) is permanently docked near us and we've been long-time members who would visit and explore the ship for the past decade + and see the mention of Apollo 11.

lakefront likes this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Endgame presales crashed Fandango and the AMC websites.

My local theatre is its own company and NEVER sells out of presales. All they had left for Friday was an assortment of scattered singles.

I managed to get three Saturday afternoon seats, and THAT showing was selling out fast.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I got three for that Sunday. My wife wanted me to wait until tonight, but I checked and the theater was filling up fast.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm shooting for an early afternoon show Wednesday or Thursday. Retired is nice. We'll even get a Senior Discount.

Too bad they don't have a buffet. :cool:

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Every Little Step". Documentary about the Broadway revival of "A Chorus Line". I caught it on Amazon Prime.

It's a movie for people who liked the show/movie. Three main threads, interwoven.

Frame is the origin story, how Michael Bennett, the original writer/choreographer held a couple of meetings/talks with twenty dancers, a reel to reel, and a bunch of cheap wine. They talked about their lives as gypsies, dancers in the theater and out. Many of the characters were drawn from the tape transcripts. Second thread is the director, choreographer, and other creative staff (including several of the original cast), winnowing down the dancers who came to an open call. 3,000 of them. Third are the dancers who are out there in line, going through auditions and call backs, while literally thinking:

God, I hope I get it.
    I hope I get it.
    How many people does he need?
    How many boys, how many girls?

Good stuff.

Every Little Step (2008) - IMDb

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Saw "The Dirt" on Netflix. Not a great movie by any means, but as a fan of the 'cock rock' of the '80s, I couldn't help but enjoy it. Had enough tits and ass to rival those late-night Cinemax movies I'd try and watch as a teen. The "Game of Thrones" guy playing Mick Mars had probably the best performance. Textbook example of a guilty pleasure.

CD Boogie likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

T&A? What’s this Threes Company?

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I got Sat., 11 AM IMAX 3D for my daughter and me.

Might as well go big. It was probably 30 minutes after the email was sent by Fandango and we barely got the first row over the walkway.

I need to stay away from the internet for 36 hours before we watch it.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We saw Infinity War on the first Sunday and got tickets and decent seats the day of. Doesn't seem like that will happen this time. I'm very excited but will be OK waiting a bit. I'm kind of amazed by the ticket sales and website crashes today. Crazy hype for a movie it seems.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched the Mark Felt movie. Interesting look at the "double-game" Felt was playing - loyalty to the FBI, not wanting the institution undermined, also not wanting to lose access to the investigation - also an interesting subplot about his daughter who was "lost" and using FBI resources to try and find her while she was hanging out in communes. An interesting note - the initial Watergate "investigation" by the FBI "cleared" the WH three months after the break-in before Felt started leaking stuff as Deep Throat. Also Felt was later pardoned after being found guilty of authorizing warrantless break-ins of the Weather Underground (apparently seeking to see if his daughter was involved). Felt was later pardoned by Reagan.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This is more than a movie.

This is the ending of a 10-year journey. It's almost like the last episode of Seinfeld or Cheers or MASH. If you started watching Iron Man with your sixth grader, you are watching Endgame with your almost college grad.

I also think the people running Marvel Studios understand their place in, well, society right now. Iron Man was white guy fighting the brown guys. Cap was white guy fighting the Germans. Now we have very diverse casts and a black male and a female being two of the cornerstones moving forward.

SPOILER SPOILER

I also think the next 10 years will move away from we are fighting all these guys because they are green or blue. If you are this, you are bad. If you have not seen CM yet, stop reading, but I really think the true enemies of the next 10 years will be the radical factions of groups of people and not the entire group of people themselves. That was a huge pivot in CM. People were pissed off about a woman in the lead, but the long play will be showing everyone that hating entire groups of people is wrong. Comics have helped create that mindset, and I think Marvel Studios is going to try and erase some of that.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Vice. Pretty solid. Bale was great, Carell miscast. Some neat cameos.

Draft saved Draft deleted