1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One shot at seeing Led Zepplin live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I got taken in. Sorry, y'all.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The truth that dare not be spoken.

I bought the 1990 box set because my girlfriend was a big fan. I tried, man. I really tried. 25% good, 25% meh and 50% The Emperor's New Clothes.

Things did not work out for us and, as happy as I am in my life, I occasionally wish we had a different outcome. It was hard to let go and I carried a heavy heart with me for a long time.

I didn't hesitate to chuck those Zeppelin tapes, though. It felt good then, still feels good now.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

^^^
    Proof that they're out there: people who hear things in a way that makes no sense to me.

I've gotten over Zeppelin, but only bc I listened to all their albums so much that the feelings I associate with the music seem old and trite. But I've never loved any band as much as I loved them. And it wasn't even close. If the remaining members were indeed to play, I would go to great lengths to see them, if only to mine that time in my life when their music meant so much to me.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I have *zero* doubt that the fault lies within me. Totally serious when I say that I'm fucked up. 50,000,000 Elvis Zeppelin fans can't be wrong.

I'm not fucked up enough to truly believe that they suck. They were one of the pioneers in rock and vital in paving the way for the metal I so love. I'm just fucked enough that I don't "get" them.

I don't think it's a generational thing as I am die-hard about a lot of 70's rock. Deep Purple, Sir Lord Baltimore, Rainbow, Sabbath, Scorpions (w/Uli Jon Roth) all speak to me. Zeppelin just doesn't.

I have no idea why I can listen to Immortal's At The Heart of Winter on a loop during my day but I can't make it through Houses of the Holy without being lashed to the mast like Odysseus. I'm not right.

5. CD Boogie

I know you're not alone. I got a buddy who loves, loves, loves The Doors, but can't stand Zeppelin. I think they're similar in many ways, that one brand of music should appeal to the other's fan base. But he's very much into the cult of Morrison, crazed poet. I never gave a damn about Zeppelin's dark aura. I loved their music before I knew anything about Hammer of the Gods, Page's obsession with Aleister Crowley, or anything to do with a mud shark. I distinctly remember hearing the guitar opening to The Ocean and being like, "Who the fuck is that?!"

After that, it was down the rabbit hole, buying every record ASAP.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Led Zeppelin isn't nearly as good as they've been hyped up to be for the last 50 plus years.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Toe.
    Lake.
    Fail.

8. CD Boogie

link?

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

link to what?

That's purely my opinion. Some may disagree and that's fine.

10. CD Boogie

I know, I was just making fun.

Chef2 likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Led Zeppelin puked up some turgid, rehashed heavy blues crap with inane lyrics. Pete Townshend and The Who were the greatest band of the '60's and '70's.

Draft saved Draft deleted