1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times moving to El Segundo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I left a SCNG paper last year and kept my subscription until the cost jumped about $12 per month. When I called to cancel, they didn't try very hard to keep me, offering to split the difference between my old rate and new rate, then finally my same rate, but only guaranteed for 13 weeks.

They called me a couple months later and offered me a seven-day subscription for $1.25 per week, so I paid for one year. When the paper started again, I found I hadn't missed it. They never replaced me, so there were very few articles from my community, and there's not much there I haven't already seen online.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is there any reason to subscribe to a SCNG paper anymore? Would the SCNG paper be cheaper, carry significantly nore lcoal news or offfer some form of advantage in subscribing?

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I subscribed in support of my friends and former colleagues left behind. If I use the Sunday coupons, it pays for itself.

But to answer your question, the paper doesn’t give me much. Lots of regional crime stories, but not much from my community.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I applaud your loyalty. But I bet the Times offers the same coupons. So, bluntly, it is an unattractive and undifferentiated product. Is there any reason not to believe that the LA Times will take it out? The loss of classified has hit suburban papers really hard (see the North County Times, R.I.P..)

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The new design looks fine. I'd be more interested in the tech stack powering the new site. I heard they were previously on Arc.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another sports-to-news move:

Draft saved Draft deleted