1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Blockbuster movies too long?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Apr 1, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Do you feel like "blockbuster" movies are too long these days? Just seems like movies are getting longer and longer, and it's been trending in that direction for quite a while now?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can relate. Rewinding before you return them takes an eternity on the really long ones.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Big Ragu lives in Bend. Oregon!

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It really depends on the movie. Avengers: Endgame is going to be over three hours and I have no complaints about that at all. They are going to be packing a lot into that movie, so it makes sense. If it is done well, I doubt the long run time will be an issue.

Claiming that all movies or books or anything has to be under a set length is a mistake. That said, if a movie is over two hours, it better have a good reason. If it is over three hours, it better be a damn good reason.

John B. Foster likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

No, but I feel like every so-called blockbuster movie is one of these Avenger series movies. I love movies and I love reading. What I never liked reading was masked crusader comic books, so I have no interest in the movies. But they are everywhere. I watched "Black Panther" bc it was supposedly some departure of sorts for these types of movies; it wasn't. It was just as formulaic, except the characters were black. I bagged it half way through. I'm just thankful my daughter dislikes these films -- and all the Star Wars crap, too -- as much as I do.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Hateful Eight is still going as we speak.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It isn't so much about length, but about pace. The Avengers and Star Wars always have a lot of threads they need to touch on - and I'd rather see one 3 hour movie than sit through frour or five two hour movies to see what Capt. America, Hulk et al are up to. I was pleasantly surprised by the low-stakes and rather quick Spiderman Homecoming and AntMan.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Masked crusader comic books? Seriously?

If you go into things with preconceived notions, it is quite difficult to see them for what they truly are.

I'm just going to move along to focus my discussion on people who understand fun. :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fucking "Gone With The Wind" ...

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Meh, life is too short to live without at least a few prejudices. And so I look at the crowd who enjoys such things -- in addition to cosplay, comic cons or any of that arrested development jazz -- and feel comfortable in saying that my time is better spent elsewhere.

It's like WWE, reality TV, NASCAR and many other things -- I know people like them a lot (including friends of mine), but for the life of me I will never understand why.

SFIND and Fred siegle like this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’m sure his new one will be 2.5-3 hours.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Watching Gangs of New York, there were three or four times it looked like the movie was about to end, just to keep moving along. It was 2:48.

Draft saved Draft deleted