1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All it needed was Stephanie McMahon to announce that the Dodgers were making history with the first-ever drunken women’s
    Catfight at Dodger Stadium and to have Vin Scully provide the play-by-play.

Huggy likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

God, I hope I'm not tempting fate and ruining my legacy here. But it feels like the challenge has been issued, so here goes nothing. Vin's got some dark secrets, man.

"... And while Justin Turner steps into the batter's box, let’s take a minute to tell you about some upcoming promotions to close out this season-opening homestand here at Dodger Stadium.
    Tuesday’s game will be TWO-for-TUESday, with two-for-one Dodger Dogs and beer.
    (Camera cuts to a fight in the stands)
    Well, here’s a group that looks like they’ve arrived early for Two-for-Tuesday.
    Hard to tell what exactly is going on. It looks like the woman in the black jacket has the high ground. She is in command of the situation.
    Wait a second, another challenger is rising up. She is stepping over broken bodies to get at the leader and is throwing haymakers, but it’s not enough to take her down.
    And security is stepping in to break it up as Yosh-i-HE-SAH Hirano delivers and Turner swings and misses for strike one.
    (Long pause)
    That was a wild scene out there in bleachers. Just like the time Mr. O’Malley wanted me to call a game in the bleachers during the heyday of the Giants-Dodgers rivalry. It was their first series after Juan Marichal attacked John Roseboro with the bat in 1965, and tensions were running high, as you can imagine.
    Hirano misses outside for ball one.
    So it was September 1965. Big series between the Dodgers and Giants, who were battling for first place in the National League. I had reluctantly agreed to sit in the bleachers for the first game of a quick two-game series in Los Angeles.
    We’re out there on a gorgeous Southern California afternoon and there were some Giants fans heckling me all game long.
    Hirano bounces a splitter for ball two. The count is 2-1 to Justin Turner. We’re tied 3-3 in the bottom of the seventh inning.

So by the sixth inning, one of the Dodger fans had had enough. He told those Giants fans to shut up, or he’d shut them up.
    The Giants fan did not take too kindly to that, as you can imagine, and pretty soon a nice little brouhaha broke out.
    Fastball from Hirano misses wide for ball three. 3-and-1 the count. Hirano did not like that call one bit, and now the catcher Avila will head to the mound to calm him down.
    There was no calming down those Dodgers fans, though. The fight escalated pretty quickly, and before I knew it I was right in the middle of it. I’d learned a thing or two in the Navy and I was still pretty young then (chuckles), and I knew how to handle myself. I told them I wasn’t looking for trouble, but they’d found it anyway. I was mostly posturing, of course.
    But, somewhere in the chaos, someone had dropped a switchblade on the ground. It was opened, and the blade glinted in the afternoon sun while time stood still for a moment.
    (Pause)
    And let’s take a moment now to tell you about AT&T. When you want to reach out and touch someone, rely on AT&T, a proud sponsor of Dodger baseball.

Hirano misses again for ball four, and Turner will head to first base. The Dodgers have the leadoff man aboard here in the seventh inning for David Freese. The former World Series MVP with the Cardinals is 0-for-3 tonight against the Diamondbacks. He’ll dig in and try to give the Dodgers the lead.
    Hirano delivers and Freese fouls one off ... There that switchblade was, shining in the sun like a jewel. I don’t know what came over me, but I had to have it. I picked it up and didn’t know what to do with it, until one of those Giants hecklers suddenly appeared in front of me.
    I grabbed the knife and plunged it into his leg. Almost out of instinct. It must have hit the femoral artery, because blood started gushing EVERYwhere. I started to panic when I snapped out of it and realized what had happened, but there was so much commotion that no one else had seen it.
    (Pause)
    Freese fouls another one off. He’s in the hole 0-and-2 now. A.J. Pollock is on deck and the Dodgers sure could use a run here.
    (Long pause)
    Hirano tries another splitter and misses low and inside.
    (Long pause)
    Finally, one of the policemen working that section of the bleachers comes over and sees this guy in a Giants cap bleeding out. It’s already too late for him.
    “What happened, Mr. Scully?” he asked.
    I didn’t have a good answer. The knife was sitting right there, so I just said someone must have stabbed him but I didn’t see it.
    Freese swings and misses at strike three. Hirano got him with an 83-mile-an-hour splitter diving in. He’s got some great movement on his pitches.
    A.J. Pollock is up next for the Dodgers. He’s already homered, singled and driven in three runs tonight ... and he’s up there swinging as he fouls off the first pitch.

There was an investigation, of course. You can’t have an incident like that without one. But no witnesses came forward. It went down as just one of those unfortunate things that happens sometimes in a big city like Los Angeles.
    But believe me (laughs), that was the last time I ever called a game in the bleachers. You never quite know what -- or who -- you might run into out there.
    Pollock watches ball two come in low, and now he’s got a hitter’s count at 2-and-1..."

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

God, I still love this place.

I make a post in response because there’s a wrestling reference, throw in a Vin Scully reference in tribute as a cross thread, go to bed and wake up to find this magnificent sequel.

Love the drama as Vin finds the switchblade, then segueis into the AT&T ad.

Batman and Huggy like this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Love the commentary on the fight....while paying attention to the action on the field.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’ve been to one Dodgers-Giants game at the Ravine. If every other game has an incident, I lucked out because the worst incident that night was forgetting where I parked.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who is currently deemed the best local radio play by play person these days now that Vin is retired?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's an actual clip of Lindsay Nelson calling a Jets game AND the spectacle of a fan enveloped in flames in the stands.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Original - I love the story that Rizzuto had no idea about the purpose of his play by play.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Eric Nadel is in his 41st season calling the Rangers. He hasn’t lost one bit of his fastball.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Vote here goes for Jon Miller. But Kruk and Kuip may be the only reasons I'll survive what's going to be a disaster on the shores of McCovey Cove.

Draft saved Draft deleted