1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It could be, but the key is going to be indisputable evidence, just as it is with all replay decisions. That was part of the problem with the catch rule in 2017. Al Riveron seemed to forget that the evidence had to be indisputable to overturn a call.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

The problem is, "indisputable" always seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Watching most games, I almost never see indisputable evidence, yet calls are reversed all the time (which leads to easy accusations of game-fixing/line-fixing). Now you're talking about pass interference, something whose hard definition -- contact while the ball is in the air -- is going to be visible on nearly every play. In a two-minute situation, when there could be 10 consecutive pass plays, those last couple minutes will be worse than the end of a college basketball game, only they'll have to do it twice every game. Good luck staying in that 3-hour TV window.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I'll take the odds that the first time this new rule really changes the outcome of a crucial game the Saints will be involved and on the wrong end of it. I'd laugh.

Did they also do away with the onside kick? Because going to the AAF rule I could probably get down with. The kickoff rule changes significantly lowered the already low chances of converting an onsides kick.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why would Belichick care?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He wouldn't. But Schiano might prefer a narrative he was fucking around to one where he wasn't making the cut with Belichick.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Mrs. Schiano likely cares very much.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Bears just traded Jordan Howard to Philly for a 6th round pick. Next year. Might as well have just cut the guy.

That's such a waste of a durable, reliable RB.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He can’t catch, has no breakaway speed and his YPC has decreased each year he’s been in the league. It was 3.7 last year. That’s not good.

Draft saved Draft deleted