1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phillies threaten to revoke credentials for tweeting during interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Mar 27, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah. Super duper duper important.

If a team has more than two important press conferences a year, I'd be shocked. Less if you aren't signing/re-signing a Harper or Trout. Or fire your manager.

Get bent, Phils.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Who fucking cares? So what if you can or can't tweet. This is such a dumb fight it's not worth fighting.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Because a sport in danger of losing another generation of fans should cut off one of the ways the generation takes in news. Must protect the RSN.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If the postgame presser happens at 1 a.m. ET because the damn game's too long, who's reading the tweets or watching anyway?

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If Fredrick is growing old, tell me and I'll stop. But I felt compelled to weigh in again on Twitter. Why oh why are newspapers so beholden to getting the news out on Twitter? It has nothing concrete to do with making money for the newspaper company. Nothing. I realize it is THE WAY to do business today. Part of the handbook, page one is the edict, "Tweet the news when you get it then write the story." My question is ... why is that valuable again? The Phillies are out of line, though.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've found how easy it is just to ignore and forget about the things which make it that much harder for me to gain access.

I mean, I'm not searching out real-time info on Phillies' press conferences. Or Indians or Cavs or Browns. If I'm driving and listening to sports talk and they cut into one, maybe I'll listen. But if I'm checking Twitter and find out there's a press conference and the Phillies guys can't tweet about it, I'm not running somewhere to tune in and watch. I'm forgetting about it.

poindexter likes this.
  7. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

If it's a press conference with 100 people in an auditorium, that's one thing. But if -- as if often the case in baseball -- it's just a group of four or five reporters, then I think it's disrespectful both to your colleagues and to the person you're interviewing to be live-tweeting. Why is it so hard to wait five minutes?

8. It's the reporter's job to get information out to the public quickly. Tweeting quotes from a press conference is the fastest way to do that.

The NBA has gone the other way. Not only can you tweet, they also don't care if you live stream (on Periscope or other such services) from a press conference.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

People on the west coast

10. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

This. I just can’t buy that the “We have to get the information out to our readers ASAP” rational supercedes common decency. I almost get offended when I look around a media scrum and see a coach/player trying to direct an answer to a reporter who is busy tweeting away. Put away your phone and finish the interview. There is a 99.9% chance that whatever you wanted to tweet isn’t that important anyways (maybe you’ll even get more context if you wait and do more reporting...). The person you’re chatting with will appreciate you looking at them instead of your phones.

cake in the rain likes this.
  11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If a reporter is tweeting incorrect or misleading information because s/he isn’t focused enough, or if the interviewees find it rude, that seems like something that can be sorted out one-on-one. I don’t see a need for a blanket rule.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

This. And how is one able to ask questions if their nose is in their phone? They’re basically transcribing the questions of others in the scrum, not contributing. Thats rude.

Draft saved Draft deleted