1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I honestly forgot that part of the argument. It was also presented in the X-Men movies, especially Days of Future Past.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also, how could the average person tell whether the superpowered being in question was a mutant or not? With a few exceptions like the Fantastic Four and Avengers, a lot of these people are working in the shadows and on the fringes of society. Most of them don't seem to be writing books about whether they were born with their powers or acquired them in a horrible lab accident.
    I can understand why people would love the more public heroes. The Fantastic Four could be viewed as tragic figures. Captain America was a war hero. And, on the other side, why they would be afraid of some of the freaky-looking mutants like Beast, Nightcrawler or Angel.
    But does the average person really have a clue whether Daredevil, Spider-Man or the Hulk are mutants or not?

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Well, Spider-Man was a member of the X-Men at one point ...

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought they tried to recruit him early on and he instead kicked their asses. Did he actually join at some point?

To that point, though, the Fantastic Four do have mutant children.

5. outofplace

I'm not sure if Spider-Man was ever an actual X-Man. He did teach at the Jean Grey Institute for a while. I think that was when Wolverine was running things. The characters have been depicted as closer since they the were in the New Avengers together.

Is Valeria a mutant? I thought she was just extremely intelligent. Franklin is a mutant, with wild fluctuations in how his power levels are depicted. I'm not sure what he is like now, but he has the ability to alter reality. He actually created a pocket universe for the FF and Avengers when they all sacrificed themselves to stop Onslaught, which was the premise behind the Heroes Reborn books that sort of rebooted those characters.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It's debatable, but the joke is that he was a member of the team when he was teaching for them.

Valeria is not a mutant. Franklin is arguably the most powerful character in the Marvel universe.

7. outofplace

[​IMG]

This is fan made. A little something for the Marvel fans who are pissed about the cancellation of the Netflix series, but excited for Endgame.

8. outofplace

By the way, here are the images from the actual Endgame promotional campaign that inspired the one above. I believe the characters in black and white were killed before or during the Decimation. The ones in color survived. The most interesting bit about this to me is the images indicate that Shuri was among those who were dusted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

In the first "Endgame" trailer, in the scene where Banner is looking at the photos of the ones supposedly dusted away (Lang and Parker), for a split second you see an image of Shuri before Peter Parker shows up on that screen.

10. outofplace

I hadn't noticed that. I just remember hearing a lot of fan theories about Shuri taking over as the Black Panther, at least until big brother returns. So much for that outcome.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finished off Marvel's Agent Carter on Hulu - really liked the way they incorporated various threads from the MCU into the show, throwaway lines "a movie based on comic book - how preposterous", fleshing out Howard Stark a bit more and of course, the magnificent Hayley Atwell.

12. outofplace

Draft saved Draft deleted