1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't know what cromulent means but bonne chance to all!

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Neither do I but it was a funny word a long time ago.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Wait, so we don't start until April 8?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

League settings are all screwy from the two games in Japan.

5. outofplace

You did use it correctly. As for the pick itself, we shall see. I'm waiting to see how badly Jose Ramirez hurt himself within an hour of me taking him No. 2 overall.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What’s the worst sounding fantasy injury you’ve ever had?

I had a RP back in 97 or 98 have what was described as a crushed testicle, due to a liner that hit his cupless package.

Think he played for Seattle, but I’ve forgotten his name.

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I could not be there since I had a family emergency. Not 100% happy with my team, but you never know.

8. outofplace

Sorry to hear it. I hope things with the family are okay.

John B. Foster likes this.
  9. outofplace

I'd heard of this one years ago, but I can't remember the player's name. Apparently it happened again last year when Jose Abreu needed emergency surgery due to testicular torsion.

Here is the Deadspin article with an explanation of the condition.

https://deadspin.com/jose-abreu-needed-emergency-surgery-to-save-a-strangle-1828815877

10. outofplace

To more clearly answer this question, yes. I still don't get why Yahoo wouldn't allow us to start before that, but when I tried before the draft, that was the earliest start available to us with the March 24 draft.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The human brain is amazing. I’ve been trying to remember this name, and it gradually came to me. As I was posting that, I vaguely remembered his last name might end in “illo”.

Then as I was reading your response, I though Manzanillo?

And before I even googled, that was enough to have a few more neurons fire and pull out Josias as his first name.

Anyway, from his wiki:

In 1997, Manzanillo suffered a grisly injury while pitching for the Seattle Mariners. Not wearing a protective cup, he was struck in the groin by a line drive off the bat of Manny Ramírez which ruptured his testicles. Manzanillo managed to recover the baseball, throw out Jim Thome at home plate and jog off the field under his own power before undergoing emergency reconstructive surgery.[1][2]

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yahoo league I'm in we had the draft 3/17, other league that cbs had the draft 3/18.

Draft saved Draft deleted