1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched The Fix -- The Marcia Clark d0-over of the OJ thing. A solid cast - Robin Tunney is very underrated - but having Clark attached to it kind of makes it seem mostly as an exercise in score-settling. It would have been so much better if the suspect wasn't the person whose acquittal ruined her life, but perhaps someone else in the showbiz world, or who was otherwise connected to the case. Who doesn't wish they had a second shot at pivotal moment in their life that didn't go they way they wanted? The trepidations of going back to that difficult time? Great concept, but the OJ stuff gets in the way.

I tend to only watch Grace and Frankie when there isn't something I'd rather watch. But after getting through the "we're old" jokes and the "our husbands are gay" jokes" it's pretty good. Tomlin is Tomlin and Fonda is Fonda - but what's nice is that the series gives them enough time to go beyond the types they typically play. Tomlin actually has feelings. Fonda isn't always uptight (I remember how funny she was in Fun With Dick and Jane with George Seagal). And the rest of the cast is good. That the non-Brooklyn Decker daughter is married to Paul Scheer amazes me.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Stranger Things...

Netflix might have the second biggest show this year outside of Endgame

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I love Stranger Things, but I can assure you the final season of GoT is a bigger deal.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m guessing more people have Netflix than HBO, and if you are under 16, this is as big as it gets.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I dont know the season finale of the last Thrones did 12 million viewers which is pretty close to what Big Bang Theorys getting this year. (One would imagine their series finale will be among the biggest things on TV this year too).

Thrones numbers transcend HBO and are as big as anything scripted on TV.

Thrones trailed has 47 million YouTube views in 2 weeks. Stranger’s at 9 in half a day.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Think about how bad it hurt when Hodor died holding the door.

Multiply that feeling times 90% of the cast. All of the bodyguard type characters are going to die bloody, trying to keep their principals alive. Just looking at that group we have Grey Worm, Davos Seaworth, Bronn, Brienne. Maybe Tormund Giantsbane.

It is going to be absolutely brutal.

8. DanOregon

GoT Deadpool - draft a team and lose a point for every character that dies.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Am I the only one thinking the principals might all die, but somehow Davos and Bronn will survive?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. DanOregon

Always figured Jon Snow and Dany would be left standing - with kid who can't walk hanging around. That's about it.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Has anybody checked out the Adnan Syed doc on HBO? I listened to the Serial podcast, so I had some interest. Watched the first episode and it's really intriguing, not a rehash of the pod at all. First episode did a really good job of setting up the backstory of Hae and Adnan and the family dynamics that made their relationship a continual struggle.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would fit too neatly into the traditional narrative with the heroes winning.

I could see Jon Snow on the throne, but he loses everybody. Or maybe Dany ends up on the throne, but she betrays and kills Jon to get it.

Or it could be Cersei, who has been a step ahead of everyone much of the time from the beginning. She is pretty much behind everything.

Or the White Walkers wipe out humanity.

Draft saved Draft deleted