1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

“Work smarter, not harder! Do more with less!” :cool:

studthug12 likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If no one died,

It goes inside.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

"We are very excited to do more with less, unless you say Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro went to Ole Miss" - coming to a layoff email near you.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is scary; people are human! People get tired! People make brainfart mistakes! Let's just kill the business if we have no page checkers, copy editors, fact checkers. I LOVE copy editors and extra sets of eyes!!!!

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Knoxville's Gannett paper with a couple of beauts today.

Front-page story about how Tennessee coaches motivate players jumps to a photo of . . . Bob Lanier? (Tennessee has an assistant named Rob Lanier).

Deck head on sports front says:

Vols say they're hungry
    to prove they can be at
    they're best as they open
    NCAAs against Colgate

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's an institutional problem, not on any individual designer or editor.

Those Gannett studios are fucking sweatshops (ditto GateHouse, etc.).

You have one designer doing the work that used to take 10-12 people. And I think most Gannett papers have done away with on-site editors checking the pages at night.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

To be fair, though, the story has a part that talks about Bob Lanier, who is a cousin to Rob Lanier. I'd hope the cutline would mention that part of his story, but nothing would surprise me.

The "they're" is inexcusable to me. I wonder about the process - at my former shop, the reporter/"coach" is the one who wrote the heds and subheds, and the designer would make them fit and/or adjust the wording as needed.

I had a "coach" who edited a feel-good story I worked on for weeks about a kid and his family. It was a Sunday 1A centerpiece, and was a damn good read. The coach started to edit the subhed that I wrote, then went back and re-typed my subhed … but spelled the family's last name incorrectly. Wasn't caught by the producer on site, and we (I) looked like an idiot who couldn't spell the name correctly in display type.

I came unglued, and was told to "calm the fuck down" because it "isn't that big of a deal."

To this day, just thinking about it makes my blood pressure spike.

Tweener likes this.
  8. BTExpress

Must have gotten cut out of the dead tree version of the story. Which is odd, as the photo is a large, three-column mug shot that certainly did not need to run that large. Caption only said that Bob Lanier did not play in the 1970 Final Four because of a knee injury.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Holy shit, that's bad then. I just saw the online version.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Look at where we've arrived when it comes to editing: "at my former shop, the reporter/"coach" is the one who wrote the heds and subheds ..."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Local paper (Gatehouse) published baseball game story, but called the team that played the Podunk High basketball team. Headline was “No room for error.” (The team committed a lot of errors and lost.)

12. BTExpress

My go-to was always, "To err is human, but all the time?"

Draft saved Draft deleted