1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Biggest Bender

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Mar 20, 2019.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Purely academic question: would going to a Burning Man-type event count? I've never been, but from what I've read, one the one hand its days of drugs and naked and stuff. But on the other hand it's a somewhat controlled out-of-control environment.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What are you, a mutant? How the heck can you have total recall while drinking that much?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That’s the thing. I used to remember a lot during my partying days. It wasn’t always good thing, though. Ocassionally, a drunken friend would act stupid and we’d have an issue and then the next day, they would be fine because they forgot what happened and I would still be pissed off at them because I remembered.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I learned one of life’s biggest lessons in college:

Liquor before beer: Have no fear

Beer before liquor: Never been sicker.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Uh..........
    Whiskey then beer, never fear.
    Beer then whiskey, pretty risky.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'd rather just ingest some THC and chill out. But my state is medical marijuana only, so I'll just have to continue doing nothing.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

From what I understand, there was never a shortage of doctors willing to 'prescribe' marijuana in California before it became fully legal. Tell the right doctor you are depressed and you have a medical marijuana card. You could go full Al Czervik and get a card.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

College was broken down into this, especially my senior year:
    Monday - Monday Night Raw, Thai Food and Thai Whiskey
    Tuesday - Trivia at the club I worked at. Usually snagged some free drinks. (This was usually my soberist day)
    Wednesday - A hotel bar had a "Birthday Bash" on that night. They would draw a month and a date from ping pong balls and people with that birthday would drink for free (IIRC) This was my tequila night.
    Thursday - "Diaper Night" at the club I worked at. 18-over allowed in. So all the older guys would go to hit on jailbait. I DJ'd and drank. My drink of choice at work was Captain and Coke since I was allowed to free pour.
    Friday - "Working" Which meant doing shots while DJing
    Saturday - Pretty much the same as Friday
    Sunday - Pitcher of beer & a frozen pizza at a local dive was $5. We would watch football and crush a few of both all afternoon.
    I did that from late August until May that year. Other than remembering the schedule...I don't recall much of what actually happened. Including how I actually graduated.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I just barfed.

spikechiquet likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A bunch of us were single on a Valentines Day. Good group, three or four dudes, three ladies. This was probably back in 2010 or 2011. Went to our local bar and decided it was a good time to bang some Jager shots. And by bang some Jager shots, I mean drink like seven shots in 30 minutes. Life comes at you fast. It had snowed the prior day, and the streets and sidewalks were icy as hell. I invited everyone back to my spot to party more. Was like a five-minute walk from the bar. Got two minutes into it and I slipped. And by slipped, I mean fell on my face. One of my buddies told me the next day that I didn't even try to catch myself. Just went straight down on my grill. How I didn't lose my front teeth, I don't know.

They get me up and we end up back at the house. It's 1 a.m. and we're making a fuck ton of noise. I rented from my buddy and lived upstairs (separate entrance). He had two large dogs and a sizable cache of firearms. I'm struggling to get the damn key in the lock. There's blood pouring down my face. The dogs go crazy. Landlord comes to the door with a shotgun, sees its me, assesses my state, laughs his ass off, and we all go upstairs. Somehow drink more (PBR, I think). Another of my friends, who was engaged, made out with one of the girls. His wife still doesn't know about this night. The hangover the next day ... holy shit. Not to mention my lip and cheek were all jacked up from the fall.

We still call that night the St. Valentines Day Massacre.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given my four days of LSD and weed at the Rainbow Family Gathering in 1996 in the Mark Twain National Forest, yes.

clintrichardson likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I partied my way out of one college as I was drunk for most of two semesters. The bartenders on the strip knew my name, but not my professors. I seriously don't remember much about that year. And the few folks I still keep up with from that debacle have some insane stories about the things I did.

Thanks to the arcane alcohol laws here, we have some bars that stay open until 5 a.m. and others that open at 7 a.m. So a few years out of college, a couple of roommates and I decided to do a 24 Hours of Drinking. We'd go to a bar, have a beer at the top of the hour and then move to another one for the next round. During the two-hour window when no bars were open, we went to a 24/7 diner for breakfast before joining about a dozen third-shift factory workers and some construction workers who were rained out of their jobs that day at the 7 a.m. opener. We struggled to make it the whole 24, because one drink per hour gets you sleepy drunk not partying drunk. So as we neared the finish line, we started having more than one per hour - which was a mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted