1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bradley cuts off beat writer Dave Reynolds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nafselon, Mar 16, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No question about it. Lose his support and the Communication school is badly crippled. To a university, that can be far worse than a PR fiasco that will be out of the news cycle in a day. Follow the money.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good for the PJS for the way they handled this and the way it turned out. You don't hear it turn out in the media's favor too often anymore.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This was handled well by the JS sports editor and Dave, but it needs to die. No need for this story to continue. Right now this story's cycle should be over. It's overkill if it continues. Dave should not comment any more on it.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Chick Hearn also went to Bradley. Played basketball there too as well as broadcasting the games later. IIRC, at the time the school didn't award exclusive rights to one station, so another station in town also broadcast the games. Their announcer? Bill King.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't think it's overkill. Look at this "apology" and tell me that anything has changed from Bradley's perspective: "An official apology has been made and we’re moving forward together in full support of our Bradley Braves." A mealy-mouthed mention of an apology, then the "full support of our Bradley Braves" is just doubling down.

Cleve In The Eve: BU's Wardle, Chris Reynolds, hug it out with reporter

They also quoted Reynolds in a Tweet as saying "Go Braves!" They had to delete it when Reynolds denied saying it.

Bradley learned nothing from this episode, and still seem to believe Reynolds is on their cheerleading team.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And it's still bullshit.

Nothing regarding the "apology" and Reynolds should be coupled with "full support of our Bradley Braves." Dave is not a Bradley Braves fan, not a Bradley Braves supporter, and should not be expected to be. THAT'S what they still don't get.

(Sorry, BWIP, you had that covered well. Just had to underline it, I guess.)

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I got the sense Bradley was unusually in the wrong here and that Dave Reynolds had done close to nothing that'd even rise to a question with most coaches or in most markets. Maybe I'm off.

I've seen a couple situations where a writer (a columnist) got overly cute with a team or a coach and, yes, things had to be ironed out, maybe there was a week cooling off period, but not this.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

And them making up a "Go Braves!" quote from him is absolutely fucked up. I know Dave a little through work, and he is too classy to make an extended stink about it, but whoever is responsible for that needs to be fired. Today.

From what I remember, there were things written when Bradley was picked for third in the Valley and started 0-5 in the league, asking what is going on. Nothing unfair or over the top, unless you're a thin-skinned asshole like Wardle.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If you’re covering this site, do you walk out in protest when the Bradley Brand takes to the interview stage? Or is the alleged apology good enough?

10. BurnsWhenIPee

Can't let it affect your readers, which is why you're there.

exmediahack and jr/shotglass like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The less Dave Reynolds and the Peoria paper make themselves the story now, the better. They've played this just right.

FileNotFound and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Didn't read entire thread, but this is about Bradley profiting from a racist, bigoted mascot, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted