1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any other United Methodists here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My local Methodist church has a huge sign on the front lawn saying it disavows the action taken by the church fathers and that it fully supports all of its LGBTQ members.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Perhaps I’m reading that wrong, but I’m not sure visa issues from a few delegates in the South Congo and the restriction of proxy votes for said delegates constitutes some great scandal. If it were a political election I’d think we’d talk about the unfair burden placed on said delegates.

But the voting outcome went against social liberal individualist doctrine, so, naturally, the NYT comes in to investigate the rule breakers.

4. Regan MacNeil

Yes, I'm sure that's the reason.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do you think, if the vote had been the reverse, that the NYT would have apportioned any resources into examining voting irregularities this picayune?

I don’t. Maybe that says something about me. That’s just where I think the landscape is.

6. Regan MacNeil

Your hypothetical is basically impossible to envision. This was caused by African delegates, who would NEVER vote in favor of anything pro-gay. So I legitimately can't picture it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, great, we get to do this all again thanks to improper voting. Lovely.

8. Inky_Wretch

Had lunch with our associate pastor today. He was at the GC and said there was talk about this as it was happening. The NYT didn't have to do much investigating, it just had to read some emails sent to the reporter on the scene.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was raised a United Methodist and one of my cousins is a Methodist minister. I know she's not happy with the recent developments and I'm not sure if I want to return to the church or not.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think my family is moving to the Episcopal faith.

11. Inky_Wretch

12. Regan MacNeil

Good. I want no part of their hatred.

My church will undoubtedly stay United Methodist, but I imagine several other Western PA churches will leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted