1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm not asking them to run my company.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I take Mickelson at his word here, but it is kind of amazing how trouble finds him so often.

Mickelson hired tutor firm, denounces cheating

Also, ESPN, they're not playing the Tour Championship this week. Pathetic. EDITED: They fixed it to Players Championship.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What a weird article.

When you’re a person of substantial means, how can the college process be confusing? Kid gets the proper grades/scores, gets in. Write the check. Done. That’s it.

It’s confusing for people like me. I’ve got a kid with a 4.0 and a 33 ACT and his dream school in Colorado is still hideously unaffordable, even with merit scholarships.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That is truly absurd.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He could be telling the truth. I'd guess that not every person who hired Singer did the wrong thing. I saw this earlier today, and found it interesting.

The recruiting method for the college bribery scandal: A parent's account

poindexter likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Plus, if you're of substantial means, chances are your kids are in elite private high schools. Do they not have good college counselors who can help with the application process?

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Boogie-
    The Winklevii are the kind of douchebags who wore the scarves dashingly tied about the neck on campus.
    (Not nearly tight enough as it turns out).
    Anyone can wage a 'monster comeback' in business - their cryptocurrency venture - with many millions of award money from a court judgment.
    After daddy's money put them on second base to begin with.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you are paying for a private school and have substantial means, you have no qualms about paying for a college counselor. Someone who is supposedly an expert and knows what the admissions offices are looking for, can help the kid craft a better essay than they might otherwise, etc.

Getting into elite schools has gotten ridiculously competitive. It's way more difficult today than it was in my day in the 1980s. Harvard rejects 1 out of 4 kids with perfect SAT scores. UPenn rejects 3 out of 5 HS valedictorians.

That is the landscape that has given rise to the college counselor industry. And it's pretty big business. Everyone is looking for an edge, not just parents with slacker kids, because it's often not enough to have gotten the grades and the test scores. For what it's worth, it's not just people with the means who are paying for those kinds of services. It's a lot of people who stretch beyond their means to try to get Jr. as much of an advantage as possible.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Some people love their false equivalences.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I would like the Chicago PD not to assign a dozen detectives to a crime where even if real, no one was hurt. I would prefer they assign a dozen more to work homicide in Chicago. I would like the Chicago DA not to use their resources in charging 16 felonies for a publiciy stunt, they should be using their resources to prosecute people who hurt or rob other people, you know, criminals.

The FBI should not be using their resources to investigate "cheating" in college athletics or admissions. There are more important uses for my tax money.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted