1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Analytics and the decline of Baseball's popularity?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 12, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Mazeroski game:

19 runs, 24 hits, 7 pitching changes.

Time of game: 2:36.

Most notable statistic: Zero strikeouts.

Think that game may have created a few fans?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In addition to day games, one of the things I miss most about big league baseball?

The flannels.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. spent 12 years playing baseball in our local organization and registration was always static (or dropped some years) until the Jays made their playoff runs and interest among younger kids exploded but as my buddy who is a VP there said, they didn't have enough diamonds to meet the demand because so many of them had been bulldozed over the years for soccer fields and housing developments. Fact of life in the burbs.

In other news, this is easily the most significant development of the Jays' offseason. There are a ton of food and drink options in the area around Rogers Centre and anyone who pays the larcenous concession prices at Jays games deserves what they get, but this is at least something. Whether it results in more fans going or just in more drunks is the question.

$5 beer to be offered during Blue Jays games this season

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some people lament the lack of diamonds today, but that's putting the cart before the horse. How many kids today have gloves and can get a catch in the neighborhood? We all could as kids, and from there it was sometimes a matter of minutes before we had a full game with makeshift bases and imaginary runners.

maumann likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth (not really much) as I drive around, I never, ever, see kids outside just playing soccer, other than an organized team practice or game.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Because of work and the proximity of Nats Park to where I live it is very difficult to get to a weeknight game. Its actually easier to take the day off and see a day game during the work week. But we go to a few weekend games, mostly day games. Day baseball at the ball park is so very enjoyable.

7. heyabbott

I don't see kids playing on their own without supervision for any sport, except if there's a basketball hoop in the driveway then its usually just 1 or 2 kids shooting.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And that's why US players lack creativity and world-class touch on the ball!

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's also why basketball has gone to hell, incidentally.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. heyabbott

All the kids are home getting high and having sex. Finally youth is wasted, literally.

Draft saved Draft deleted