1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of surprised Bell didn't go to Oakland.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Good. It’s always enertaining how much better QBs seem to get from the end of the season until draft day.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Jets offered 23 cents more.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the Raiders were ever really interested. I'm not sure anybody but the Jets was every ready to pay him big money.

5. CD Boogie

In fairness to Bell -- and I've said this here before -- but the humongous, long-term contracts signed by David Johnson and Todd Gurley skewed the market for RBs. Their injury problems are exhibit A in why he got what he did on the market.

This breaks down the market, money pretty well.

NFL Free Agency: Le'Veon Bell Fails To Reset Running Back Market With Jets Deal

6. outofplace

Gurley's injury definitely made it more difficult for Bell to get what he wanted, which is funny, because when the Rams made that deal Bell thought it would help him.

Gurley demonstrated exactly the risk involved in such a deal, except it's even worse for Bell because he is older and there is also the threat of another suspension for violating the league's drug policy.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Browns look so good on paper that LeBron wants to sign as a free agent

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm an Eli guy, but Gettleman is a dummy for bringing back Manning after trading OBJ. Just move on from both of them and point this team to the future.

He should have traded OBJ to the Browns a year ago, drafted Barkley and Darnold and the Giants could be on their way to a rebuild. Instead, he signed OBJ to a big deal, will now eat a $16M cap hit this season, and he's stuck running Manning out there with one less weapon, hoping the team sucks its way to another top 5 pick to find Manning's successor in the 2020 draft. Fucking idiot.

Sources: Giants committed to keeping Eli in 2019

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Is Gettleman the worst GM in football? Sure seems like it.

10. CD Boogie

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If he's not the worst, he's doing his damndest to catch up.

12. outofplace

Draft saved Draft deleted