1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The debacle that is TNT Players Only

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dennis Scott, Isiah Thomas, Brendan Haywood and Jason Terry are absolutely horrific on the T-Wolves Nuggets game.
    Scott has said several times "it's the T-Wolves 39, and the Nuggets 45."
    That's worse than any nails on a chalkboard. And Scott is doing the game like it's on radio. Listen you stupid fuck.....its on TV. You don't have to describe every pass. He tries to talk so fast to describe each little thing......
    This is just embarrassing.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Could be worse. I'm watching Blazers-Clippers with the Clippers announcers.

But yeah, the Players Only thing can be brutal. Very few of them are any good at it. My son enjoys it because he likes listening to me yell at Isiah Thomas, that smirking little fuck. (Zeke, not my son.)

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Greg Anthony is at least halfway competent. He does a lot of color work for CBS so he at least has a little bit of a clue, but this crew in Denver tonight is an abomination.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s only good when Candace Parker is on because she actually tries to dissect the action

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She's very good.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I enjoy McHale (even though I was a Sixer fan)

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I take great pride in the fact that Clyde the Glide got a gold medal while that asshole watched from his couch.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I agree that Anthony at least tries to stay connected to what's happening on the court. McHale, by comparison to a lot of these relative newbies, is a veteran broadcast pro IMO.
    But who in hell thought it was a good idea to let anybody sit in a studio and call a game off a BIG screen? What's next, newspapers and Web sites having beat writers cover games off TV?
    It's like trying to watch a game you care about in a sports bar with the loudest, most annoying customers at the next table.
    It's unfunny Mystery Science Theater 3000.
    And they hold you hostage even if you pay for League Pass, because you can't get either team's TV audio feed unless you live in-market. Makes some premier games unwatchable. All for ... what's the reason again?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Christian Laettner giggles.

BitterYoungMatador2 and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

??????
    Who is doing that?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Straight from the press release at the start of 2017-18, hailing Players Only as a thing. Notice where Anthony and Smith worked the play-by-play/color of the games:

The Players Only broadcasts will begin on NBA TV Oct. 24 with the Cavaliers facing the Bulls game, run there for 13 straight Tuesday nights, then move to TNT for the rest of the regular season beginning Tuesday, Jan. 23. Webber will host with Thomas and McHale as studio analysts, while Greg Anthony and Steve Smith will call the marquee game each night from Atlanta, with Dennis Scott at the game as on-site analyst and reporter.

[​IMG]

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Webber and Company are the in studio hosts.
    Anthony leads one crew, Scott leads the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted