1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for the Laughlin kid. You're a rube if you do.
    Today is her best day ever. She is 100X more famous than she was 12 hours ago. That is her lifelong goal. This is the best day of her life.

As we've noted on the politics board, you can't shame the shameless.

Inky_Wretch and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's a lot of bread for a "My Kid Goes To Yale" car sticker. I guess what I find surprising is that these parents seem to be victims - almost like charging a parent for paying ransom to get their kid back from a kidnapper. I wouldn't be surprised if the schools (all private) were upset that a middleman was horning in on their action. Public school kids are getting squeezed out of public colleges in favor of out of state and international students since they'll pay a higher fee.
    I guess my biggest shock is that I assumed private schools routinely accept kids who normally wouldn't get in if the check from the parents is big enough.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They do. See Kushner, Jared, and all the Trump kids, among many others from both sides of the political aisle. They're just smart enough to know how it's done. These nouveau-riche idiots got hoodwinked.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a lot of generalizing, as I suspect you know. Really depends on the university. I work for one (I'm not overpaid, haha) and part of my job is to promote the research work by postgrads and professors, and some of it is nothing short of amazing and absolutely life-changing. But undergraduate teaching is also held in high regard. And I'm not at a school that has an overcooked D-1 football team (or any football), or sits on a mountain of money. A pretty good hill of money, yes, but not an endowment akin to 100 Bryce Harper contracts.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

upload_2019-3-12_16-23-44.png

surrender...lol

"Right now Lori Loughlin is a fugitive from justice."

Warm up the Bronco, AC.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Sounds like Lori Loughlin is on the run.

Please let this turn into OJ chase Part II.

Shapiro.
    Kardashian. No. Scratch that. No Kardashians.
    Al Michaels.
    Peter Jennings.
    Baba Booey.
    Gil Garcetti.
    Cowlings.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "Listen up, ladies and gentlemen! Our fugitive has been on the run for 90 minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is 4 miles an hour which gives us a radius of 6 miles! What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at 15 miles! Our fugitive's name is Lori Loughlin. Go get her."

garrow, bigpern23, HanSenSE and 4 others like this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The way the overall rate has gone, I don't think you could find a college that hasn't inflated administrative positions relative to actual academic positions in the last few decades.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I won't argue that. But don't think they're all $100k vice chancellors and such. Though there are a helluva lot of those at many schools.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Different take here.

A slew of CEOs charged in alleged college entrance cheating scam

"Among those charged are Douglas Hodge, a former CEO of Pimco investment management company; William McGlashan Jr., a senior executive at TPG Capital; Agustin Huneeus, head of the Huneeus vineyard in Napa Valley; and Gordon Caplan, co-chairman of international law firm Willkie Farr.

Also charged were:
    — Manuel Henriquez, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital, whose stock price fell more than 9 percent Tuesday afternoon;

— Robert Flaxman, founder and CEO of real estate development firm Crown Realty & Development, which says it has a portfolio value over nearly $600 million for properties primarily in California, Arizona, Virginia, Idaho and North Carolina;

— Robert Zangrillo, CEO of Dragon Global, an investment company. Dragon Global's website says its funds have managed investments of more than $1 billion in companies that now have over $500 billion market value, including Facebook, Twitter, Uber, Jet.com and Ulta."

Draft saved Draft deleted