1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Small lineup, huge bench in this league, so I don't mind that 4 of my keepers are pitchers.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The categories make a big difference. If it's a standard 5X5, those stolen bases are very valuable. Steals are becoming more rare. There were only 11 players in MLB last season with 30 stolen bases and Marte was seventh in the majors with 33. Nobody had more than 46. That means he can have a big impact in one of your five categories.

You also have to consider that some of the guys who stole 30 bases don't give you much else. I wouldn't want Billy Hamilton or Mallex Smith in my lineup, but Marte at least gives you something in other categories.

I get putting a low priority on steals, but players who are useful overall and give you 30-plus steals can be a great value in a 5X5.

3. Guy_Incognito

Right ,that's why I'm reluctant to let him go.
    Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP), Slugging Percentage (SLG)

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Looking at those categories, runs, walks, BA and OBP are going to basically be a wash, Andujar has the edge in HR, RBI and slugging, Marte has the edge in steals. I'd take the guy who will help more in three categories. Andujar is also significantly younger.

5. outofplace

That's why I brought up the scoring system, though the sample size on Andujar is a bit small to say that BA and OBP are clearly in his favor. Didn't you say OBP favored Marte in an earlier post? Andujar actually walks even less than Marte, which is tough to do. I am also concerned about playing time if he slumps. Wasn't Andujar benched in the playoffs because his defense is so bad? Marte's going to play even when he struggles offensively because he is an outstanding defender.

The size of the starting lineup also matters here. Does the league have a CI spot? Guy already has Bregman at third and Aguilar at first. Bregman has shortstop eligibily, but Guy looks to be keeping Segura there.

6. bigpern23

No, I said OBP slightly favors Marte but Slugging is in Andujar’s favor. I also said BA is a wash, not that it favors Andujar. He batted .300 last season, but I expect we’ll see him settle in as a career .270-.285 hitter with 35-HR power.

His defense was bad, but he won’t likely get benched or sent down. He doesn’t strike out a lot, so he shouldn’t be prone to prolonged slumps. He’ll probably get replaced for defense late in games, but - like Marte - he got 600 ABs last year, so playing time isn’t an issue.

7. Guy_Incognito

Only a regular starting 9 - no MI or CI. I'm leaning Segura, but am open to suggestions. Sounds like you would leave Andujar unprotected, no?

8. outofplace

With no CI, I'd keep Marte. You've already got Bregman at third and Aguilar at first. If you keep Bregman, Aguilar, Andujar and Segura, you'd have to leave one of those guys on the bench.

The other option could be to cut Segura loose, use Bregman at short and keep Andujar at third base.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is there a draft date and time?

10. outofplace

This isn't the league thread, but I'm about to update and bump it.

11. bigpern23

FWIW, Marte's ADP is like 35-40, Segura is around 65 and Andujar is around 70-77. So if you like all three, keep Marte and player A, then draft Player B in the fifth or sixth round.

12. bigpern23

Funny enough, after that discussion, I wound up taking Marte with my third-round pick last night.

I got kind of screwed during the draft because one guy was having trouble logging in and when he tried to draft Arenado, he got JD Martinez. The Commissioner rewound the draft a couple of picks, tried it again and he got Martinez again. While they tried to sort it out, the Commish let the draft run (even though I suggested he should pause it).

I didn't make my first pick, figuring it was going to get rewound again and it auto drafted Verlander for me, 10th overall. He's a great pitcher, but I was planning to take an outfielder in that slot and get Kluber or Verlander on the way back if they were available (I already had Buehler and Severino as keepers). They wound up not rewinding the draft, so I was "stuck" with Verlander. I wound up taking Kluber anyway, since he was best available and my pitching staff is loaded now, but my outfield is woefully thin, which is aggravating.

Draft saved Draft deleted